Very Disappointed In The Sss Tonight

eric.dally

Well tonight was the first time I have been to the track since I installed my shift kit vette servo, 160* tstat, and got a zippy tune for all those mods. Last fall when I was there I only had my volant intake installed and I ran a best of 15.3 when it was 80* outside which was kinda disappointing at the time too. With my new mods I figured for sure I would be in the high 14s atleast, well I was wrong, took 3 passes and was pretty consistant at 15.1 seconds. :fume: It was about 75* tonight at the track, but I don't think that should have been hurting my times that bad. :nonod:

Overall the truck seems to run fine, it has about 43xxx miles on it and has been very well maintained, so I can't imagine that it's anything mechanical that is limiting it. And I don't think I am launching that terrible, my 60 fts are all about 2.25 roughly.

It is just very disappointing to see all these stock SSS running the same times or better then I am after Intake, shift kit, vette servo, tstat, and tune. I'm about at the point of giving up on trying to make it fast and just take the mod money and through it into my XC race quad. :banghead:

Sorry if it seems like I'm complaining but if anybody has ideas let me know

:rant:

Hey man. Alot has to do with it. I was pretty pissed too when I did just bolt ons. I did long tubes, converter, corsa exhaust, outlaw cai, zippy tune, 160* stat, but no shift kit and still only managed a 14.89-14.9 my first time out with all those mods. I eventually got it down to a 14.6, but no where near where other SSS were running with similar mods. Its just the nature of the beast. You will have to get some real power adders to really start making a difference. I agree that you should have been 14.9 at least also, but sea level, weather, etc have alot to do with it.

okay I have a few questions.......

what kind of intake do you have?

what was your fuel level?

did you have anything in/on the bed like a fiberglass tonneau?

what was your launch technique?

Stock I was 15.6 (on a 90+ degree day, IATs in the 110-120s), then after a tune, CAI, and a 160 T-Stat I was 14.9 (same conditions).

Then, on the same setup, I ran a 14.5 (best time so far), except this time it was 33 degrees out, (same conditions Krambo ran his time in).

Just food for thought...

okay I have a few questions.......

what kind of intake do you have?

what was your fuel level?

did you have anything in/on the bed like a fiberglass tonneau?

what was your launch technique?

I have a volant intake, and at the time I had just under 1/4 tank of gas. I don't have a tonneau but I did have the tailgate up, I don't know if that makes a difference. My elevation is bout 750 ft.

To launch I tried a couple different ways, first stalled it up too about 2000 then just mashed the gas to the floor and dropped the brake at the same time when the light changed. Then I also tried only stalling till about 1500-1600 and then hitting the gas to the floor slightly before dropping the brake. Either way my 60 fts seems pretty consistant at about 2.25 within a couple hundreths.

I have a volant intake, and at the time I had just under 1/4 tank of gas. I don't have a tonneau but I did have the tailgate up, I don't know if that makes a difference. My elevation is bout 750 ft.

To launch I tried a couple different ways, first stalled it up too about 2000 then just mashed the gas to the floor and dropped the brake at the same time when the light changed. Then I also tried only stalling till about 1500-1600 and then hitting the gas to the floor slightly before dropping the brake. Either way my 60 fts seems pretty consistant at about 2.25 within a couple hundreths.

Yes without a tonneau the tailgate matters alot, a big source of wind drag....next time either lower the tailgate or remove it completely to save weight. Try launching off an idle next time, my best ETs always came from launching off an idle, brake stalling always caused me to bog an loose a few tenths of a second. The fact that you are at a 750ft elevation is probably impacting you also, if you were at sea level you could probably shave a few tenths off of your times. :chevy:

Edited by Fireman31 (see edit history)

Post up the rest of the numbers from your slip if you can. Your times are quite a bit slower than I'd expect. I'd have been guessing at least times around 14.8 or so. At your power level the shift kit is only worth less than a tenth so from there the tuning and theremostat were all you would have gains from. That 60' time is also quite slow. What kind of fuel are you running?

I don't have my slips with me right now but my last run of the night had the following numbers

60' 2.26 sec

1/8 9.75 sec

1/4 15.09 sec

MPH 92.xx MPH

The only fuel I ever put in it is either shell v-power (93 octane) and BP Premium (93 octane).

I guess I'll just have to take the money I was saving for the 2/2 drop, stainless steel brake lines, tinted windows, and tonneau cover, and put it towards some long tubes and maybe a torque convertor. :chevy: If that doesn't get me into the 14s then I think I might have to get a new vehicle. JK! :cheers:

I don't have my slips with me right now but my last run of the night had the following numbers

60' 2.26 sec

1/8 9.75 sec

1/4 15.09 sec

MPH 92.xx MPH

The only fuel I ever put in it is either shell v-power (93 octane) and BP Premium (93 octane).

I guess I'll just have to take the money I was saving for the 2/2 drop, stainless steel brake lines, tinted windows, and tonneau cover, and put it towards some long tubes and maybe a torque convertor. :chevy: If that doesn't get me into the 14s then I think I might have to get a new vehicle. JK! :cheers:

Try my suggestions above, they should help you a bit. :chevy:

I don't have any trans. modifications, but with other mods similar to yours, my times are very similar. Next time, I plan to remove my tonneau, bed mat, spare, and tailgate. See if I do a bit better. My tune could probably use a tweak or 2, but I never planned on doing a lot of racing. More just wondering what she'd do. I have AWD and stall up a bit before launch. I have never tried a launch from idle. Have fun! :chevy:

your 60' seems slow for AWD?

Based on your 60ft times it seems to me that you are bogging a bit off the line.....like I suggested earlier, try launching off an idle, it should help. Your trap speed is right where it should be. :chevy:

Try my suggestions above, they should help you a bit. :chevy:

I dont agree with the tailgate removal or lowering helping any...I have yet to really see anyone do this nad gain anything..there have been shows about it and it showed no gain...yeah weight reduction is definatley going to help but the tailgate IMO is not a huge source of drag or everyone would be driving around and racing with out them...However you should be faster...I kinow DA is different here but stock here with just a tune and shift kit i was running 14.9 ish with out hooking up.