Very Disappointed In The Sss Tonight

eric.dally

As the drag racer on the forum, I must chime in here. Their is a some misinformation being put out there on this topic one so I will attempt to clear isome of it up from my experience on the track.

The tailgate thing: LEAVE IT UP!!! There have been several scientific tests as well as a Myth Busters done on this very topic. The newer trucks are created differently than their earlier bretheren. The air flowing over the cab actually collects in the bed and actually helps air flow over the entire truck down track. My faster MPH's and ET's were with the tailgate up sans tonneau. Taking it off will save you 30-40 pounds max so their is some savings there I guess but the rule of thumb is that 100 pounds = a tenth of a second so is it worth it?

The altitude: You could be at sea level or at 10,000 feet and still run slow at both locations. The weather and the density altitude have EVERYTHING to do with ET. It may have only been 75* but was it humid? Was there any head wind? All of these things factor into slower ET's.

How you are launching: I launched stalling to 2000 or so with a stock converter for years and never had a bogging issue. That shouldn't be happening and if it is, you have an issue some where. Launching from idle may help until you get a higher stall TC.

You need a converter: When I went up to a 2600, I dropped half a second in ET and at least 2 tenths in 60'. When I went even higher, I lost even more.

My suggestions: Lose some weight!!! Not you personally, but the truck. That has been the secret to my success with my minimal mods. Get a converter and have Zippy check the tune. Something may be a tick off some where (no offense to Zippy but it happens).

Hope this helps a little! Don't give up just yet, you are really close to where you want to be with your minimal mods. :cheers:

***These are just my opinions based on my personal experience as a racer. My views are not meant to offend, piss-off, or disrespect anyone or their opinions previously stated in this post or otherwise.*** :chevy:

Edited by RacerJJ (see edit history)

I can agree that the tuning may need some work. Most of the trucks on here that are considered quick for their mods have had tuning work done to them. It's not uncommon to have someone go to the track and change a few minor things from a mail order tune and gain alot. Most tuning via mail order is roughed in based on testing and tuning on other trucks and that doesn't always work as it should. My guess would be that something is causing KR* off the line and although it's fading as you get down the track it's killing your 60'.

I can agree that the tuning may need some work. Most of the trucks on here that are considered quick for their mods have had tuning work done to them. It's not uncommon to have someone go to the track and change a few minor things from a mail order tune and gain alot. Most tuning via mail order is roughed in based on testing and tuning on other trucks and that doesn't always work as it should. My guess would be that something is causing KR* off the line and although it's fading as you get down the track it's killing your 60'.

I agree with Zippy. That's why I'd like to log a few runs and have my tune (PCMforLess) looked at. I'd like to get the most out of what little I have put into it.

Edited by Hankg42 (see edit history)

I agree 100%. My tuning took a boat load of different people and a lot of time to get right after my mail order tunes. Mail order tunes are a great start but they are somewhat of a guess IMO because they can't be checked and logged in the actual vehicle.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I guess for now I'll just have to try a few different launch techniques and see if that can help. I'm sure it will come around maybe it's time I start looking into a convertor and possible get either HPtuners or EFI live and a wideband sensor so that I can do some of the fine tuning my self. I guess it just means that I have that much more time to gain when I get into some real mods. Anyways thanks for the help guys. :cheers: