Taking Suggestion

So my awesome wife says to me last night, "Why haven't you just put a cam in your truck yet?" I said, "Wuh, wuh, wuh, What?!?" Not only does she know what a cam is and what it does but she clearly wants me to get one! I guess I picked a winner this time. :D

Anyway, I have a Comp 236/238 .601/.605 113 in the garage. I bought it a while back from someone here. Since I bought it, everyone has been saying that it is waaaay too much cam for my combo (See sig). What would it take to run this cam? I really don't want to try and sell this one and buy another. If I were to get another one, what would you all suggest for my set-up? Your opinions and suggestions are welcomed. TIA...

Edited by RacerJJ (see edit history)

id say a set of l92 heads but from what ive seen huge cams with those heads just dont make the power it should . mild cams with the l92 seem to work well on alot of car ls motors.

i dont know how open you are to doing heads to since that will be alot more money and work. but the power increase will definately be worth it. youll also have to change intakes for the l92's so id say do a set of ported lq9 or ls6 heads with good springs. if your looking for someone local for parts i know a couple people. actually one is right near you off milikin and the 10.

id say a set of l92 heads but from what ive seen huge cams with those heads just dont make the power it should . mild cams with the l92 seem to work well on alot of car ls motors.

i dont know how open you are to doing heads to since that will be alot more money and work. but the power increase will definately be worth it. youll also have to change intakes for the l92's so id say do a set of ported lq9 or ls6 heads with good springs. if your looking for someone local for parts i know a couple people. actually one is right near you off milikin and the 10.

:withstupid:

port your stockers

since your only racing your truck id run that cam in a heartbeat with a better flowig intake and like a 3600 stall converter.

No converter change for me! I've been through that twice and it costs too much. I like my converter a lot. What intake do you speak of or recommend?

Your converter is ok with that cam I think; get a set of ported LS2 heads, or have your LQ9 heads ported. Add the LS6 intake or Fast/90mm or GMPP aluminum & elbow or Victor & elbow. Replace connecting rod bolts with ARP ones. Swap injectors for the SVO green tops. Then retune and wind the snot out of that SOB, shift at like 6500-6600 IMO, you'll need a dyno plot or log of calculated torque to figure out exactly where your optimum shift points will be. As an option see if you can find a set of underdrive pulleys and all combined I'll bet you will drop between 1/2 and 3/4 of a second. :driving:

Mr. P. :)

Your converter is ok with that cam I think; get a set of ported LS2 heads, or have your LQ9 heads ported. Add the LS6 intake or Fast/90mm or GMPP aluminum & elbow or Victor & elbow. Replace connecting rod bolts with ARP ones. Swap injectors for the SVO green tops. Then retune and wind the snot out of that SOB, shift at like 6500-6600 IMO, you'll need a dyno plot or log of calculated torque to figure out exactly where your optimum shift points will be. As an option see if you can find a set of underdrive pulleys and all combined I'll bet you will drop between 1/2 and 3/4 of a second. :driving:

Mr. P. :)

straight up

So my awesome wife says to me last night, "Why haven't you just put a cam in your truck part yet?" I said, "Wuh, wuh, wuh, What?!?" Not only does she know what a cam is and what it does but she clearly wants me to get one! I guess I picked a winner this time. :D

Anyway, I have a Comp 236/238 .601/.605 113 in the garage. I bought it a while back from someone here. Since I bought it, everyone has been saying that it is waaaay too much cam for my combo (See sig). What would it take to run this cam? I really don't want to try and sell this one and buy another. If I were to get another one, what would you all suggest for my set-up? Your opinions and suggestions are welcomed. TIA...

what kind of set up do you have in mind?

I'd start with just putting it in with a good set of valve springs. It is a bit too much cam for your setup, but it will work. You'll just want to slowly build around it. Just change the cam first though, the more you change at once the more problems you'll have.

I'd start with just putting it in with a good set of valve springs. It is a bit too much cam for your setup, but it will work. You'll just want to slowly build around it. Just change the cam first though, the more you change at once the more problems you'll have.

What cam would you suggest for my current set-up without changing all of the other things suggested? I don't really want to do all of that work or spend that money. I'd like a little more power and a good, lopey sound to it.