Any 04ss's got a powerstat?

darkseed

About a week ago I purchased my 160 thermo an hypertech 1014. After reading previous post and namely one by member a1cmaw I noticed that this was the model being installed on the 03 ss. I went to install mine just after recieving custom tune and it does not fit. The two outer post that come off the main housing that retain the spring are to wide.....by about an 1/8 of an inch. Has anyone with an 04 ss installed a powerstat....? which one did u go with? Is it poss that this has changed from the 03......seems strange

thanks

Dave

I saw that post ....its great but I would like to have the real thing..I saw alot of replies that could not get the same results as the tex..plus 160 not 180 is what im shooting for.....gets warm here in san diego in the summer \. plus our gas sucks here max octane 91

I bought a 160* powerstat from Tbyrne. Didn't have any problems. Unsure of the part number. If you got one and it didn't fit, then I would think you didn't get the right one for our engine. That would mean that the water pumps would now have diff part numbers if there was a difference in the thermos. I could be wrong, but I don't think they changed between '03 and '04.

Where did you order from?

After I posted the stuff on how to modify your stock thermostat, I tried the same thing on my SS. As it turns out, GM changed the way the Tstat is configured on the inside and a BB no longer fits. Plus, the stat was more difficult to work with.

Fortunately, I had another "older" stat off an 02 truck. I did the BB mod on it without issue. As far as it not being as cool as a hyperstat160, well I think its actually cooler. At moderate speeds without my fans coming on, temps usually show low 170s with EFI software and the gauge needle is in the 180 range.

After I posted the stuff on how to modify your stock thermostat, I tried the same thing on my SS. As it turns out, GM changed the way the Tstat is configured on the inside and a BB no longer fits. Plus, the stat was more difficult to work with.

Fortunately, I had another "older" stat off an 02 truck. I did the BB mod on it without issue. As far as it not being as cool as a hyperstat160, well I think its actually cooler. At moderate speeds without my fans coming on, temps usually show low 170s with EFI software and the gauge needle is in the 180 range.

I experienced the same. The stat off the '03 SS did not work with the BB mod. I used the stat off my previous '00 5.3L Silv with BB mod and it worked fine. My coolant temps stay between 160 and 180, depending on the weather.

Unusual if GM changed the stat from '03 to '04... :wtf:

I just found this out also after dumping my antifreeze out! I installed my hypertech pp3 and went to put in the thermostat and it wouldnt work.(160 degree) I called hypertech and they said that they dont have a powerstat out yet for the 04 chevys because they were not aware that they had changed from 03. They said that one of their customers had went to Autozone and bought a 180 degree for an older truck (without housing)and it worked but Hypertech has not tried this yet. They also told me not to go as cold as 160degree on the 03/04 trucks, to go with a 180degree thermostat if you can make a regular thermostat work. The sad part about this is that if you call Stylin,or Summit they will tell you that the powerstats will work on the 04s but they are not aware of this problem either.

Archived