sooooo a few months back i let the girlfriend at the time drive my truck and it was snowin and she ended up curb checking a curb well today i was followin my dad cuz he has never driven my sss and i figured hell why not well i noticed that my right rear tire was wiggling took to the tire shop to see if the rim was bent and it wasnt and i had just redone my all my brakes a few weeks back and noticed that the right rear was wearing ab normally so i figure that its a bent axle is this sp,ething that is hard to replace cuz i have never done one and would like to tackle the job myself i know that the axle is a dealer item only and its 430 unfortantly could anyone give me pointers to point me in the right direction

sooooo a few months back i let the girlfriend at the time drive my truck and it was snowin and she ended up curb checking a curb well today i was followin my dad cuz he has never driven my sss and i figured hell why not well i noticed that my right rear tire was wiggling took to the tire shop to see if the rim was bent and it wasnt and i had just redone my all my brakes a few weeks back and noticed that the right rear was wearing ab normally so i figure that its a bent axle is this sp,ething that is hard to replace cuz i have never done one and would like to tackle the job myself i know that the axle is a dealer item only and its 430 unfortantly could anyone give me pointers to point me in the right direction

Better make sure that the axle housing/tube itself isn't bent. I would seriously look into getting a "recycled" axle and having an axle professional do the install, removing and installing the axle itself isn't hard after you've been shown how the first time, but you will still need to have new bearings fit onto the replacement axle. Or, you can just swap entire rear-end assemblies completely, they go for about $750 here outright, and you can resell yours to recover some of those costs. I think Time2Kill was selling his for FAR less than that but it would cost you $200 to have it shipped to you via truck so I would look locally. Options, options...

Mr. P.

Better make sure that the axle housing/tube itself isn't bent. I would seriously look into getting a "recycled" axle and having an axle professional do the install, removing and installing the axle itself isn't hard after you've been shown how the first time, but you will still need to have new bearings fit onto the replacement axle. Or, you can just swap entire rear-end assemblies completely, they go for about $750 here outright, and you can resell yours to recover some of those costs. I think Time2Kill was selling his for FAR less than that but it would cost you $200 to have it shipped to you via truck so I would look locally. Options, options...

Mr. P.

i dunno what i would do without u mr p thanks for the info it is greatly appreicted....well i guess look on the bright side while the ss is down now would be the perfect time to drop it

just did the same thing. i caught a curb and bent the axle flange. pop off the diff cover, take out the 8mm bolt holding the center pin and let the pin slide down. then pull out the C clip with a magnet and pull out your shaft. i was able to rule out bent tube/housing by measuring the flange height. i got mine for 300 at GM, but i would maybe call Moser or Strange Engineering and chech a price.