Street Racers Question

kissfans03ss

I don't classify "street racing" the same as "racing on the street". But I'm old.

I street raced regularly for 20+ years, we always had an arm dropping flagman much the way it's done on Pinks, but minus the gayness.

I have also never seen "lengths" given to anybody for any reason, nor do most guys ever run for money. It just don't happen.

Racing from a light all depends, sometimes you just "know", sometimes it's a staging game at the lights or sometimes it's verbal. I have had MANY races, and not once have I done the "three honk" thing I see on youtube regularly...

When I'm in my motorhome I usually look for "ricer" type cars, then we tease them repeatedly until they are almost "forced" to race. It works like a charm.

Racing for money does happen,and it usually involves lengths,or at least someone asking for them.People who race for money don't usually go from stoplights,they have a designated spot,the negotiations for a race can take some time since you will argue for lengths or "the bust" which means you leave first.You will rarely see a car get blown out by a bunch of lengths in a money race.Since no one really tells their times,they don't want to give it away by someone saying " he has a mid 12 second car and got beat by 6 lengths so that guy must run in the 11's.understand?I've actually had a guy who was a high 13 second car give me 2 lengths and the bust,when I beat him by the same amount all his buddies said"oh he must run 13's in that truck.My reply was,I don't think it can run that fast :rolleyes: Then a car which I assume was at least in the twelves wanted a go,he gave me 5 and the bust,mainly becuase I didn't blow his friend away,when he lost I got the "what have you done to that"and he got the typical street racer reply "cold air and a catback".

I just wanted to let you know STREET RACING FOR MONEY DOES HAPPEN!

Racing for money does happen,and it usually involves lengths,or at least someone asking for them.People who race for money don't usually go from stoplights,they have a designated spot,the negotiations for a race can take some time since you will argue for lengths or "the bust" which means you leave first.You will rarely see a car get blown out by a bunch of lengths in a money race.Since no one really tells their times,they don't want to give it away by someone saying " he has a mid 12 second car and got beat by 6 lengths so that guy must run in the 11's.understand?I've actually had a guy who was a high 13 second car give me 2 lengths and the bust,when I beat him by the same amount all his buddies said"oh he must run 13's in that truck.My reply was,I don't think it can run that fast :rolleyes: Then a car which I assume was at least in the twelves wanted a go,he gave me 5 and the bust,mainly becuase I didn't blow his friend away,when he lost I got the "what have you done to that"and he got the typical street racer reply "cold air and a catback".

I just wanted to let you know STREET RACING FOR MONEY DOES HAPPEN!

I street raced for over 20 years, never saw a "money race" happen. I hear about them all the time, I've had guys CLAIM they raced MY cars for money. Never happened. That's just MY experience, and I've street raced more than most people by a long shot.

I've watched 9 second cars run many a time on the street (this was in the 80s remember, they were the top dogs) and never was money exchanged, it was all about bragging rights where I was I guess. Nobody ever gave lengths to anybody, anybody who asked would have been laughed at.

Like I said- STREET racing to me is organized, and it's done on abandoned roads in the middle of nowhere, spotters watch for incoming cars, flagging guys start the races, and guys run and return before the next two line up.

RACING ON THE STREET is racing from a stoplight.... it's not "street racing" in MY book, just as "street racing" isn't "drag racing" in my book. Drag racing is at a track...

When Pinks first came out we were laughing, nobody thought about racing for money unless they hated each other, nobody gave anybody "lengths" unless they had a rainbow sticker in their rear window, it was "run what ya brung" and try to move up the ladder....

I didn't street race here and there, I guess I could have been considered a hard core street racer, because I didn't just ATTEND the street races, I was there RACING. All the time...

And guys who had 13 second vehicles who either wouldn't tell their times or wouldn't discuss their vehicles would have seen alot of eyes rolling around where I came from, maybe a 9 or 10 second car, but not the milder street stuff...?

Edited by CrAzYMoPaRGuY (see edit history)

I street raced for over 20 years, never saw a "money race" happen. I hear about them all the time, I've had guys CLAIM they raced MY cars for money. Never happened. That's just MY experience, and I've street raced more than most people by a long shot.

I've watched 9 second cars run many a time on the street (this was in the 80s remember, they were the top dogs) and never was money exchanged, it was all about bragging rights where I was I guess. Nobody ever gave lengths to anybody, anybody who asked would have been laughed at.

Like I said- STREET racing to me is organized, and it's done on abandoned roads in the middle of nowhere, spotters watch for incoming cars, flagging guys start the races, and guys run and return before the next two line up.

RACING ON THE STREET is racing from a stoplight.... it's not "street racing" in MY book, just as "street racing" isn't "drag racing" in my book. Drag racing is at a track...

When Pinks first came out we were laughing, nobody thought about racing for money unless they hated each other, nobody gave anybody "lengths" unless they had a rainbow sticker in their rear window, it was "run what ya brung" and try to move up the ladder....

I didn't street race here and there, I guess I could have been considered a hard core street racer, because I didn't just ATTEND the street races, I was there RACING. All the time...

And guys who had 13 second vehicles who either wouldn't tell their times or wouldn't discuss their vehicles would have seen alot of eyes rolling around where I came from, maybe a 9 or 10 second car, but not the milder street stuff...?

We would definately get along if we met. I understand what you're saying because it use to be like that here where I live.10 second cars roamed the streets and cruised downtown and it seemed like every summer weekend was a car show in the making.You could park downtown and sit and wait for the fast cars to cruise around "the loop" and getting a race was easy,and never for money.Well my town banned cruising because of traffic congestion and you are no longer allowed to even park and sit along the man drag or you will be ticketed for loitering,the cops would also harrass you if they saw you make more than two passes around town.It used to be cars from towns an hour away would come here to find a race or just cruise and see the cars but it has been ruined.Now anything that resembles a street racer,or has any type of fat tire or e.t.street will almost immedietly be pulled over and harrassed,and they always find something,...tint,exhaust,tires..etc.so now if you want to street race around here you have to have an everyday looking vehicle,and there are so many coffee can ricers that if you don't run for something you'll never get away from them.

When I explained the race in my post It wasn't that the 13 sec. cars wouldn't tell their times,It was me who wouldn't divulge,and for the simple fact of making a little money. When certain cars think you have a 15 second truck,they may keep thinking that, if you don't tell them any different.

Now anything that resembles a street racer,or has any type of fat tire or e.t.street will almost immedietly be pulled over and harrassed,and they always find something,...tint,exhaust,tires..etc

:crazy:

I've owned alot of silly looking cars in my day, most were big tired cars, and I absolutely NEVER got pulled over. My buddies used to all laugh about it, I would cruise through town and the cops would smile and wave at me!

My buddy was going through a road check in his 8 second Nova with a parachute on the back, the cops let him cut into another line to get out faster!

We had no local track for a couple of decades, we had ALOT of organized street racing. I had a "ringer" car, it was a Cordoba LS, we used to cruise around causing trouble all the time. We would prod a guy into racing, kick his butt and then tell him it was a "stock 318 with super-gap plugs", that kind of thing. We had alot of laughs racing back then. My Cordoba went 12.80s on street tires through the exhaust, power everything, it looked like a cruiser.

Cops don't care much where I'm from, the lower mainland Vancouver area. They don't put up with punks doing burnouts in parking lots etc but they let the hardcore guys cruise around if they aren't troublemakers in their eyes....

I've had lots of FUNNY stoplight racing, I wish I had videos cause nobody would believe them unless they were there.....

:wink:

Anybody who's in the Vancouver area who pulls beside a flamed motorhome... LINE EM UP!

:lol:

:crazy:

I've owned alot of silly looking cars in my day, most were big tired cars, and I absolutely NEVER got pulled over. My buddies used to all laugh about it, I would cruise through town and the cops would smile and wave at me!

My buddy was going through a road check in his 8 second Nova with a parachute on the back, the cops let him cut into another line to get out faster!

We had no local track for a couple of decades, we had ALOT of organized street racing. I had a "ringer" car, it was a Cordoba LS, we used to cruise around causing trouble all the time. We would prod a guy into racing, kick his butt and then tell him it was a "stock 318 with super-gap plugs", that kind of thing. We had alot of laughs racing back then. My Cordoba went 12.80s on street tires through the exhaust, power everything, it looked like a cruiser.

Cops don't care much where I'm from, the lower mainland Vancouver area. They don't put up with punks doing burnouts in parking lots etc but they let the hardcore guys cruise around if they aren't troublemakers in their eyes....

I've had lots of FUNNY stoplight racing, I wish I had videos cause nobody would believe them unless they were there.....

:wink:

Anybody who's in the Vancouver area who pulls beside a flamed motorhome... LINE EM UP!

:lol:

That sounds a lot like how it used to be here,but ever since we(not me) elected a gay mayor(he likes men-not just bagging on him).Some of the new city ordinances are just assanine.Vancouver sounds like a place I would like to visit,although I hear houston, Tx is one of the best car scenes in the states.

I wait for the prick who's weaving aggressively through traffic and work my way up to them, pace them, race them; Usually I try to get in front of them and slow 'em on down.

That's not to say if it's open highway and I'm cruising along and somebody wants to go I won't do it, but I always wait for the guy who thinks he's got the fastest thing on the road and let him know there are bigger fish out and we think he's being obnoxious.