Sierra Denali .... 6.2l .... Awd ... Whats The Verdict?

Big O

Alright everyone, I've been negotiating with a dealer over the last week on a 2008 Sierra Denali with the 6.2l and AWD. White color ... cashmere interior ... crew cab ... short bed. I've got them at about 19% off sticker price (included rebates) and I'm on the fence. My payment will jump 150 bucks a month, but that is doable, just tight.

I'll trade in the wifes TBSS (37k miles) on it and she will either dd the caddy seville or the Denali. My tbss payment is only 330 a month right now and it has every option on it. It runs great and we have no complaints. We would like to have a truck to tow four wheelers and possible campers with later down the road ... at least haul garbage and big stuff in the bed. Traded the SSS in on the TBSS becuase it was too big for my wife to feel comfortable driving, now she wants something bigger with our family growing.

Anybody have experience with the new denalis or the 6.2l? Should I wait for the 2009's to come out and see how the deal on the 08's. Any dealers out there who want to give me a hell of a deal on one (:))? We are also thinking of going the opposite direction ... work truck crew cab ... and save the payment hike ... but I am accustom to the finer things in trucks!!!

I'm on the fence and I figure I would spread some thoughts on the forum.

Edited by Big O (see edit history)

sounds like you want it to tow. and it can but your also on the fence on a cc work truck . imo you can get a decent deal on a cc d max and pull with no issues. but also remeber gas prices and diesel prices. but when towing the gas will get lower mpg than a d max. so cost will be near the same as far as towing goes.

ill admit if the denali is for you i like them alot and wish i had a platform like that to start with. bolt on and tuned will get you 13's

You should jump on it. They are nice trucks and something that I would trade my SSS on if I where in the market for a new ride. I would go for Black but thats just me. They are sexy in that color with the crome to off set it.

my buddy has an AWD white Denali truck that was recently tuned and it scoots but i still get him. his mods are CAI, Cat back

I tuned said truck and can not think of a reason why you shouldn't trade in the TBSS for it. Tunning that truck was great, it sure has a lot of potential.

Gas prices don't bother me too much ... it will be the wifes DD and she is a stay at home mom. I have a work truck I use, the TBSS is horrible at 12-15mpg. The denali is only 3 mpg better, but I like it a lot more. The tbss is still .... a trailblazer.

The only reason I was considering a Duramax was the fuel scare. I figured I could get into one at an amazing low price, but the dealers are just sitting on them. No discount and no motivation to deal. I won't be towing anyting heavy now, we decided to buy really nice tent/cots/sleeping bags etc and wait a few years for the camper.

200 bucks a month is looking like the real number in payment increase. Which kills me. The TBSS has dropped 50% in value in two years, I'm used to new car depreciation ... but it still hurts. I'm 6'5" and I'm the smallest in a family of 4 brothers ...so when we roll .... the crew cab is a necessity.

Basically I'm hedging on whether to wait for the 09's .... and whether the Denali is worth the extra 100 bucks a month over an entry level truck (pesonal satisfaction). I don't want to get down the road a year and money gets tight and I have to make a move and dump the truck or sacrafice something else. Flipside ... I don't want to get down the road and realize I really hate work trucks and love luxury rides and pay 450 a month on a truck that I am not fully in love with.

Basically I will love the Denali and that might make the payments a little easier to deal with. I just want to make sure the 6.2l and the wierd gearing these trucks are coming with aren't problamatic. Wife is pushing pretty hard for the switch ... the only dealer I can get to work with me is 10 hours away (1 way) ... but if that is the only way I can put a Denali in my driveway ... it would be worth the drive.

Any dealers (or anyone else) have any input on what the 09's coming out will do to the 08's? I know that GM is offer 5k in rebates on my deal (2000 + 3000 GM loyalty) but I'm assuming that will change with the new model year.

The truck I'm dealing on started at MSRP of 44,xxx and we are sitting at 35,xxx right now with all the rebates added in. Can I do better ... any insider information would be appreciated.

I say wait if you can. With the price of gasd and oil so high all trucks/SUVs are going to sit on the lots for awhile. You might get a better deal when 2009 models come out.

:withstupid: gm usualy saves there big rebates towards the end of the year when the new models come out, they are already willing to give $7-8k off a regular truck and you've got them down $9k on a denali (i think thats the best you will get now).

with the cost of fuel and the state the economy is now, there only going to sit.. so i would wait until the end of the year you would probably see $10-11k off by then.

so if you can wait then wait, if not then your at about the best you can get now.

Any dealers (or anyone else) have any input on what the 09's coming out will do to the 08's? I know that GM is offer 5k in rebates on my deal (2000 + 3000 GM loyalty) but I'm assuming that will change with the new model year.

The truck I'm dealing on started at MSRP of 44,xxx and we are sitting at 35,xxx right now with all the rebates added in. Can I do better ... any insider information would be appreciated.

35K is a very excellent deal for a new denali