My Father's Day Gift

Today for Father's Day my wife and kids decided to get me a new grill. A Chargriller Duo, combination gas and charcoal with 1236 sq inches cooking surface

http://chargriller.com/duogrill.html

Well as with all good plans, nobody nearby, has the grill in stock. A store 20+ miles away says they have 2 left in stock. My wife sends my 2 sons to go pick up the grill in the SSS. They get there only to find that all the store has is the display model, the person on the phone didn't realize that was the empty box she looked at. My sons got the display model and load it in the back of the SSS. I call my youngest son back and tell him ... "Make sure you tie it down. There are are straps in the truck" Of course, he listened.

All is well for the first 15 miles back home. They get off the exit ramp when the grill decided to become a piss poor airplane :banghead: So here we have a brand new grill that has now decided it doesn't want to be in the back of the truck and as far as I know is now ready to be shipped over to China for recycling. My sons load it back up into the truck minus one wheel, broken regulator/hose assembly, broken grates, beat to shit, with a case of road rash, now tied down in the bed of the truck. I think my sons thought about joining the witness protection program about this time.

They get home and we spend 1 1/2 hours knocking the dents out of the hood and realigning it so it will close properly and removing gravel and vegetation that it gathered on its maiden flight. It's sitting on the deck with one wheel and a custom made wood blocks and brick on the other side. Got a replacement regulator assembly and cooked steaks on it tonight. Still need a couple replacement grates but works like a champ. Fortunately, only a small dent and a scratch on the truck on the drivers side right above the wheel opening.

Review

***** 5 stars

Pros: Best of both worlds propane & charcoal 2 in 1 grill. Optional side firebox for Texas style smoking. Good heat control on either charcoal or propane sides.

Durable construction, considering. Good price $249.00

Cons: Bad airplane :jester:

Would you recommend to friends: Oh hell yes

This will be one of the more memorable Father's Day. Always be able to tell the story about my flying grill :D

Edited by hot rod truck (see edit history)

thats a funny story. The fathers day card my 9 year old son gave me today read: Sorry i didnt get you that grill, I didnt have enough money. i guess when he is older and working he will go buy me one and let in fly out of the truck. :)

your a great sport..lol good story with a great ending

My wife bribed me... told me if I didn't kill the children she would wear a dress the rest of the day. She got me. Still has some nice assets... :D

It all worked out...still a good day

Edited by hot rod truck (see edit history)

haha thats a great story your kids will probably tell it to there kids one day!

No. That's a story you tell your kid's children. or at least threaten to tell them. Good thing it still works and that you like it! My not be the prettiest on the block, but as long as she cooks well...

No. That's a story you tell your kid's children. or at least threaten to tell them. Good thing it still works and that you like it! My not be the prettiest on the block, but as long as she cooks well...

I told my wife that nobody in their right mind would steal it with the broken wheel,the scrapes and dents, but if they did we would be able to identify it :jester:

Of course I will tell the story to the grandchildren. Have them gather around for story time... "Here's a Father's Day story about your dad and uncle"

Could start as redneck fairy tale: "You ain't gonna believe this sh!t"

:D