Gas Mileage

lwilliams24

Even better, take a look at a Ferarri 599.

We dont have to many of those running around my small town

With our EFan Kit, the truck runs at 175 in the dead of summer heat driving like a pissed-off teenager in city traffic, but when you get on the freeway at 70-mph under cruise control (low load) the temp needle climbs straight to 200-degrees at parks there, because there is so much pressurized air underhood behind the radiator it impedes fresh airflow traveling through the cooling fins.

This would explain my out of town trip last weekend. The temp gauge was hotter when on the open road but when I was doing in town driving it was down. I have stock E fans

The ideal solution to the underhood air problem IMO is to do exactly what Saleen did on the 337 truck - first make the grille/radiator core support totally wind-proof, then provide an extraction vent on the HOOD so hot radiator air is sucked out the top of the hood and OVER the truck, not allowed to go under the truck and drag along the bottom.

We have a couple of these running around, they dont like me too much since I got blown but chances are they would let me take a peek under the hood.

Another chief offender is the rear bumper, it's hanging there like a parachute; I want to box-in the underside of the bed, from the rear of the axle to the underside of the bumper/rollpan.

I've always thought that. What if a person was to place "Vents" in the rear bumper? Would that help any?

Mike

I know of a really god way to get better gas milage!!! It will give you about 2 to3 MPGs! Just get tucked in behind a big truck and let him draft you!!! Only down fall is the change of pissing him off and /or cracked widshield and/or tailgating ticket!! Just a thought use at your own risk!! LOL

...I've always thought that. What if a person was to place "Vents" in the rear bumper? Would that help any?

Mike

Yup, look at the TBSS, and again the Saleen truck. For pics of the hood, check out Saleen 337's for sale on eBay.

The stock efans are plenty to keep the truck cool around town, and the PCM turns them off above 40-mph anyways so the type of fan you have will not matter above that speed. I know that sometime I will get to the real root of this whole cooling issue, and I have investigated better radiator solutions too, the stock one is *crap*.

Mr. P.

Ever wonder why the Silverado hood acts like it's trying to fly off it's hinges above 110-mph? It's because the wind rush penetrates the entire front grill and the first solid object that wind meets is the firewall/floorboard, which directs a lot of the wind up (to blow the hood off) as well as rush down the firewall and drag all along the underbody of the truck. In fact the whole engine compartment becomes pressurized at speed with all this air to the point it blocks the fresh air from going through the radiator! With our EFan Kit, the truck runs at 175 in the dead of summer heat driving like a pissed-off teenager in city traffic, but when you get on the freeway at 70-mph under cruise control (low load) the temp needle climbs straight to 200-degrees at parks there, because there is so much pressurized air underhood behind the radiator it impedes fresh airflow traveling through the cooling fins. The answer here is to do exactly what Dodge did on the SRT-10 truck, at your next car show take a hard look behind the front grill of that truck and you'll see a bunch of tinwork in place not found on other Ram trucks, not only does it force air through the radiator correctly but it lowered the Cd on that truck a ton, like from .42 (or so?) down to .35-ish.

I never knew that, thats a good point, would a cowl hood help that, or does that just suck more air in??? I wish I was still in motorsports school so I could use a bunch of sheet metal for free and make some air diverters

I never knew that, thats a good point, would a cowl hood help that, or does that just suck more air in??? I wish I was still in motorsports school so I could use a bunch of sheet metal for free and make some air diverters

I wish I had access to that kind of stuff too. No a cowl hood will not help. What I want to do someday is completely disassemble the front bumper/grill/headlights off the truck and take a very thin sheet of aluminum and skin the radiator core - for starters.

Mr. P.