Some Free Mod's...

lucky7_93021

I was looking around for some easy mods that are cheap and easy to do over a weekend and found these. What do you guys think.... worth it or not??? Any help or just B.S.???

1) T.B. Coolant By-Pass.

This seems like the easiest thing to do and I live in Southern Cali so the "cold" doesn't really apply here. I was also thinking about putting some kind of valve assembly in the mix so I could switch back and forth if I were going to colder weather.

2) Shortening the EGR valve in the T.B.

Nothing to buy and seems pretty easy do do.... Seems like it may hurt more than help but I'm no expert... any ideas? It's supposed to lessen the restriction of air flow through the throttle body.

3) PCV mod.

Made with parts from the local auto store. Supposed to eliminate oil consumption into the Intake Manifold by re-working the connection to the T.B. Such consumption causes build up and other nastiness. Thought????

I'm still looking for more fun and cheap mod's for the weekend. Any ideas would be great!

Thanks!!!!

I have done the following free (or almost free) mods:

1) TB bypass - helps keep intake air cooler, esp since our IAT sensor is in the MAF (<$5 for barbed union and hose clamps)

2) ram air - run a duct from the brake vent in the bumper to your intake... several posts on this - do a search (<$20 for ducting, fasteners)

3) PCV catch can - collects about 1/2 to 1 ounce of fluid after 2500-3000mi., much better than older LS1's like zippy said (<$10 for fuel line and throw-away fuel filter)

4) drilled muffler - put holes in internal baffle to allow the "dummy" exhaust exit pipe to flow (link) (free :D )

5) port/polish TB - (careful :uhoh: ) do some research before trying this one... too much can be bad. (free :D )

Should take a few hours for each item above, including research and shopping.

:cheers:

On my other truck,"03 Z71 Tahoe" I took the factory air filter box out and the bottom support mount plate off and drilled with a hole saw 4 inches round a hole trought the bottom so it sucks cold air from between the fenderwell and the bumper!! This is simalar to the volant setup! And it is free cold air!! GOODLUCK!!

On my other truck,"03 Z71 Tahoe" I took the factory air filter box out and the bottom support mount plate off and drilled with a hole saw 4 inches round a hole trought the bottom so it sucks cold air from between the fenderwell and the bumper!! This is simalar to the volant setup! And it is free cold air!! GOODLUCK!!

A number of people have done this to their SS. A few threads on how to do it have been done, as well.

if you're going to do that, you need to block off the side enterance or you'll end up losing some lower end power from it. air coming in from the side and bottom causes a turbulence in there that just is terrible for good velocity.

if you're going to do that, you need to block off the side enterance or you'll end up losing some lower end power from it. air coming in from the side and bottom causes a turbulence in there that just is terrible for good velocity.

Another reason to block off the side vents is to build pressure at higher speeds. True ram air uses the force of the air hitting the front of the vehicle to build pressure slightly over ambient (kinda like a teeny bit of forced induction). If those side vents are open, the pressure will just leak out...

• 1 month later...

It took me a while to get them uploaded, but here are some before and after pics of my smoothed TB.

tb01.jpg

tb02.jpg

I filled in the "square hole" around the PCV vent with something similar to JB-Weld and smoothed that out. I also left some of that "tongue" ridge in there because BigTex posted about having some idle and cruise problems after removing the "tongue" ridge completely. I am considering opening it up a little more...

It took me a while to get them uploaded, but here are some before and after pics of my smoothed TB.

tb01.jpg

tb02.jpg

I filled in the "square hole" around the PCV vent with something similar to JB-Weld and smoothed that out. I also left some of that "tongue" ridge in there because BigTex posted about having some idle and cruise problems after removing the "tongue" ridge completely. I am considering opening it up a little more...

How long did that take you? Did you use a did you use a dremel. Are you running your MAF screen?

Takes about 10 minutes to pull the TB out. I cleaned it up with some carb cleaner and let it dry thoroughly (keep the electrical part dry). Then I roughed up the "square hole" and filled it with the epoxy with a smaller metal rod stuck in the PCV vent hole. Let that dry for about an hour. Then I spent about an hour with the dremel tool smoothing off the sharp edges and blending the filled part in. Finally, I took some fine grit sandpaper and polished it by hand. So, about 2.5 to 3 hours at a leisurely pace. :cheers:

I still have the screen in my MAF. :thumbs:

Archived