Thinking Of Changing Brands

I have used JL Audio subs for 6 years, and I honestly can't say if I was impressed. I have had numerous JL combinations:

3-10" W3's (Chevy S-10) JL 500/1

3-12" W0's (Chevy S-10) JL 500/1

1-12" W3 in the Stealth box (Chevy SS) JBL Crown 600/1

I went to my local stereo shop and they said I could use a Kicker Sub in my JL Stealthbox. I would like something different than the JL W3. With my experience it seems like JL subs only last a couple years, and than they loose their sound.

Anyone switch from JL to Kicker? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks.

Edited by SS Silv (see edit history)

they both are great speakers. persanolly i would have gone with w6. they are a better speaker than the other w's you mentioned. aslo, after a couple of years the box itself gets loose in and makes the speaker sound like crap. if you do plan on going to a kicker look at the solobaric L7's. Lets see some pictures when you get done. :chevy:

they both are great speakers. persanolly i would have gone with w6. they are a better speaker than the other w's you mentioned. aslo, after a couple of years the box itself gets loose in and makes the speaker sound like crap. if you do plan on going to a kicker look at the solobaric L7's. Lets see some pictures when you get done. :chevy:
Here's the deal, as mentioned I already have the JL Stealthbox so the W6 and L7 is out of the question, they won't fit. That stealthbox was spendy and I am not taking a loss on it. So I have to stick to a slim, round sub that will put out some bass.
I havent gone from JL to Kicker but I prefer Kicker over JL....I just like the the sound kicker makes over JL
I know its kind of hard to describe sound between the two, but please do you best, lol. Edited by SS Silv (see edit history)

.I know its kind of hard to describe sound between the two, but please do you best, lol.

The best way I can describe it is JL has more of a "hollow/loose" sounding bass IMO and Kicker is a more "tight" sounding bass IMO...if you ever listen to them side by side you'll hear what i'm talking about.

The best way I can describe it is JL has more of a "hollow/loose" sounding bass IMO and Kicker is a more "tight" sounding bass IMO...if you ever listen to them side by side you'll hear what i'm talking about.

Understandable, thanks brad.

well i have a kicker cvx 10 in a single box hifonics amp bothe are 600w rmsand guess what blew the sub not even half way up kicker sounded good until that i think im going jl or alpinewell i have a kicker cvx 10 in a single box hifonics amp bothe are 600w rmsand guess what blew the sub not even half way up kicker sounded good until that i think im going jl or alpine

Would you go to another brand of speaker? I've heard Memphis, Pioneer, JL's, Polk MOMO's, Alpine's and a couple others in trucks. Personally I like the Pioneers, JL's and Memphis subs in the trucks. Check into Pioneer or Memphis. It all depends on the music you listen too. But stay away from Kickers. Do some research first and go to a couple different places and see what they say.

I have used JL Audio subs for 6 years, and I honestly can't say if I was impressed. ...

I've never been impressed with JL Audio - I'm not saying they make junk or any sentiment like that, I've just never been impressed with their stuff. Stillwater's stuff is LAF but reliability is middle-of-the-road. Lately I was impressed with Diamond Audio, MIDNIGHTRIDR has a complete set of DA separates and 10's in his truck and I really like them. I also like a lot of off-the-mainstream stuff like Digital Designs but they only specialize in woofers.

Mr. P. :)

I say why not try out a MTX speaker. The two 10's I had hit hard as he11. The only problem was there were 10's and not 12's. 12's have better bass IMO. I got my two 7500 series MTX's off eBay and powered them with a mono Kenwood amp putting out around 900 watts RMS(450 each speaker rms). I tried a weaker Kenwood amp but it kept kicking off as those MTX subs really wanted more power. :jester:

I've owned both JL Audio and Kicker... and I perfer JL Audio over Kicker everytime. However, I'll admit, Kickers will hit you alot harder then JL will, but the quality in sound from the JL's is something Kicker can't touch. But that's my personal preference, but both brands are sound, and proven.

But, anyone can do SPL competitions, but SQL are alot harder.

Hit 153.6 db's in the Chevette, lol. (Not bad considering the box was rachet strapped to the car, and the amp and CD player wasn't even attached to anything, just resting on the floor board)

ive only dealt with jl's high end stuff, i have had alot of experience with w7's including 3 12's with 3k+ rms watts and 2 13.5's imo they are one of the best subs to date. they have been out well over 5 years and still remains on top of the game. that has to tell you something. i currently have 1 10 w6v2 with 500 rms and people think im kidding when i tell them its one 10 , then i pop my trunk and they ok where is it, i show them the hiding spot whihc takes less than 1 cube of sealed air.

the whole these subs hit deeper , or these subs have more punch, has alot to do with size more so than anything. a 10 will have more punch as opposed to a 12 or bigger. i prefer both and 12's are usually my fav as nothing beat a mean 35hz bass tone that takes your breathe. this is why i listen to alot of rap.

but imo bass will depend mostly on install. you can have a funky pup speaker in a well built enclosure and have some good bass, or you can have a w7 or l7 in a shit enclosure that will also sound like crap.

imo you need to hear something to decide for yourself , its hard to go off of here say .

if i were to actually make a system in my truck id go with jl , id like to try the new tw series but i would have to hear it first, the w6v2 can fit under our rears seats but a custom enclosure would need to be made, also if ported you can get quite a bit more spl out of it.