Towing Capabilities

Dauber85

On the 04 SS, because it is AWD Chevy has decreased the towing capabilities to as you all know 7600GCVW, (3396kg GCVW) ,now, I know the truck has the capabilities based on the drivetrain, heavy duty tranny cooler, 410 rear end, for any of you out there that have towed with these trucks, what is the most you have towed, how was the ride and is there anything that I can do or just SOL. I am trying to buy a travel trailer and have to haul it with my SS, so I want to know what maxes its capable of. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

a couple years ago I rented a toy hauler. It was a 21 ft, we had it loaded with 3 full size quads and all our camping stuff. I WILL NEVER EVER EVER EVER DO IT AGIAN. I swear I felt the front in come off the ground once. I tried to load to truck as best as possible but our trucks suspensions are not really for towing heavy stuff. The T/h was rated at under 8k lbas with approx. 650 lbs tunge weight. If you decide to go with it I would recommend you bag it. My .02 cents good luck. :)

a couple years ago I rented a toy hauler. It was a 21 ft, we had it loaded with 3 full size quads and all our camping stuff. I WILL NEVER EVER EVER EVER DO IT AGIAN. I swear I felt the front in come off the ground once. I tried to load to truck as best as possible but our trucks suspensions are not really for towing heavy stuff. The T/h was rated at under 8k lbas with approx. 650 lbs tunge weight. If you decide to go with it I would recommend you bag it. My .02 cents good luck. :)

did you have the toy hauler loaded to that weight? The trailer I might be hauling will range between the 5000 to 6500 range with a 550 tongue weight, and stabilizer bars to equalize the weight and sway bars probably, what do you think then? I will still probably bag it, the thing that sucks is the truck has been lowered, is yours?

i towed my travel trailer at 6800 lbs. dry weight with no issues. just make sure you use a weight distribution hitch set up properly..and your brake controller working and set right. i do not tow very often, but the SS will do fine WITH IN IT'S TOWING LIMITS... :smash:

good luck

:seeya:

did you have the toy hauler loaded to that weight? The trailer I might be hauling will range between the 5000 to 6500 range with a 550 tongue weight, and stabilizer bars to equalize the weight and sway bars probably, what do you think then? I will still probably bag it, the thing that sucks is the truck has been lowered, is yours?

I had the toy hauler loaded pretty good. Like I said I had 3 full size quads, camping gear, food, and water. I don't know what the total weight was but damn it was heavy. I had stabilizer bars and all. No my truck is stock height also. Travel trailers are liitle liter than the t/h. I would recommend you upgrade your trans cooler and bag it.

I pull a 3700 LB boat and tandem axle trailer every weekend for the past 2 years... no issues at all.

I've also pulled a 22ft cartrailer with a old car and random junk, no issues...

Just use common sence while towing, youll be just fine :cheers:

Just use common sence while towing, youll be just fine :cheers:
:with stupid: That's the big one. Use the weight distributing hitch, and don't overload it. Our trucks do sit lower stock than a regular Silverado, so that's where the distributing hitch comes into play.

• 1 year later...

towed my 4100lb racetruck, with a 1800 pound trailer, and my 450r in the bed, with 5 people. no trailer brakes.

not one problem. power was fine....wasnt like i was trying to run someone you know but it picked up speed just fine onto the highway.

stopped fine, but im not the type to put myself in a risky stopping situation. and if someone had pulled out... then well they would learn a lesson cause some serious weight was coming for them. but it stopped just fine. 05 and up brakes FTW

Edited by Badazzchevy327 (see edit history)

I towed a 18ft car trailer with a 02 ford lightning on it with 500pounds of stuff in the bed of the lightning and a 2007 gsxr600 in the bed of my truck a 2005 silverado ss all wheel drive from Pennsylvania to California and drove back with a Grand am on the trailer and a 1999 r1 in the bed. Its was 5600miles round trip I didnt have any problems I got an avg of 10.7mpg over the hole trip. I am looking to do the trip again.

These trucks tow as well as any of the 1/2 ton trucks do and with a bit more pulling power too. That's what's great about the SSS....it's still a truck you can use as a truck. I think the book on my '05 AWD said I could tow up to 8100 lbs.