How Do I Keep From Spinning?

I've got a 2003 Silverado 2500 5spd LQ4, 2wd. It seems to be putting out some hp after CAI, exhaust (cherry bomb extremes :D ) and hptuners tune and a 100shot. I can't seem to hook up the tires even on motor, then with the spray it spins them all the way through second gear.

What can i do? Anyone know if my truck comes stock with any kind of posi? Would adding something like a detroit locker help? I've noticed sometimes only one tire spins, sometimes both, but usually one.

I'm thinking some DOT drag radials, 17320 or 17325 hoosier's.

Weight transfer? I'm not sure what can be moved from the front to the rear, but it seems like it'd help quite a bit. I know when I have the truck up on the lift its very front heavy.

what they said...M&H DR's FTW best out there IMO..I'm 2WD and put down more horses than you and thats all i need to hook

I was thinking of getting some and this definitely solidifies the decision.

Anyone know if stock the truck comes with an open differential or some type of limited slip?

They work just fine going around corners as long as you drive sensibly. They unlock the outside tire just fine. I'm putting mine in today. A few of my friends run them. One has them in 2 of his trucks.

They work just fine going around corners as long as you drive sensibly. They unlock the outside tire just fine. I'm putting mine in today. A few of my friends run them. One has them in 2 of his trucks.

nice zippy, you'll have that thing mid 13's in no time.

You running the detroit locker?

I'm running the Eaton TrueTrak locker, it's fantastic and we install on all our project trucks. It's affordable too, under $500 from Summit. :thumbs: :thumbs: My truck is AWD and after installing it the truck stopped trying to lift the front-right corner and now on the 1-2 shift the whole rear-end squats :driving:

Mr. P. :)

Drag Radials, Cal Tracs, and a good limited slip or Detroit Locker. Once you get that, the trans will break more than likely.

i disagree with the trans breaking hes only throwing 100 shot and he has a 2500 which means 4L80e i will be tough to break that.. you need drs, detroit,and caltracs to hook on the track

:withstupid::withstupid: the detroit true trac works like a LSD and locks under load or slippage. you "shoud" have a 14 bolt so make sure you order it right. i got mine from ebay for 420 shipped with bearings, races, and shims included

i disagree with the trans breaking hes only throwing 100 shot and he has a 2500 which means 4L80e i will be tough to break that.. you need drs, detroit,and caltracs to hook on the track

If it's a 5 speed it's an NV4500.

If it's a 5 speed it's an NV4500.

hey zippy,

i've driven one of those 2500hd 5spd's and it was a little weird at first but fun.. i was always curious as to how much power and abuse they can handle?.. and also if there would be any performance or mileage gains with the 5spd?.

I would guess that with the 5 speed you could pick up some milage if you had the gearing right. The NV4500 is a very tough trans, but doesn't like to be shifted hard. It is considerably stronger than the NV3500, but still a purpose built truck transmission.