Is There A Way To Squeek A Couple More Mpg?

JimJenson

In honor of 4.40 a gallon gasoline, stepped on with 10% alcohol, I just thought I'd ask.

I am fairly stock with a PCM tweek, average about 15.2 overall. I am sure the thought has crossed many here's mind, but I dont see any posts.

you don't see many posts on this because a lot of the guys here didn't buy these trucks for economical purposes. best way to save fuel in the long run it to buy a DD.

Hey, I didnt buy it for ecomomical transportation either. Theres nothing wrong with thinking about saving 100 or so a month on gas.

I still bet I am not the only one thinking of this. I may be the only one humble enough to ask though.

If you are getting 15, you need to tell me your secrets, already getting 2 more then mine, lol.

Keep the air filter clean, make sure your plugs and wires are good and working properly, and keep the engine and tranny well maintained and in top working order... all you can do really.

Hey, I didnt buy it for ecomomical transportation either. Theres nothing wrong with thinking about saving 100 or so a month on gas.

I still bet I am not the only one thinking of this. I may be the only one humble enough to ask though.

Don't put yourself on that pedestal.

If you're suffering from prices and you're looking for a way to survive monetarily, then fine. But several topics on that have been started already. However, if it's as your claiming (and I'm paraphrasing here), and "you bought the truck not caring about the price of gas but you're not opposed to saving some money each month", then what you enter into the search box should be the same.

I use the SS for personal and business use, and I don't flinch at the pump. It's the way life is. If you want to save money, the easiest way to do is to park it. IMO It's not worth bastardizing the trucks or writing them with a heavily conservative tune in order to save a few dollars.

Find yourself a mid-90s civic, they're one of the cheapest DDs you can find right now, and they get great mileage. Drive the truck on the weekend when you're not worried about saving money.

EDIT: BTW, my Avg. Econ gauge says 11.3mpg. I love my truck too much to keep my foot out of it for the sake of mileage.

Edited by Rausche (see edit history)

Yes there are ways to save some money at the pump and there is nothing wrong with that. Hell, the wife and I are both Degreed College Grad Professionals making good money but are always willing to save money, that way we can spend it elsewhere, HA!

Anyhow, check this out.

Recent Gas Mileage Discussion

I don't flinch at the pump. It's the way life is. If you want to save money, the easiest way to do is to park it. IMO It's not worth bastardizing the trucks or writing them with a heavily conservative tune in order to save a few dollars.

EDIT: BTW, my Avg. Econ gauge says 11.3mpg. I love my truck too much to keep my foot out of it for the sake of mileage.

:withstupid: I feel the same way, I bought my SSS to enjoy it. Yes someday she will be a garage queen, but for now she is a daily driver. It sucks that gas prices are so high, seemingly everyone with a truck/SUV will be looking to get out of them because of it. Not me though, I love my truck too much, she puts a smile on my face everytime I drive her. High prices will not keep me from driving my baby. :chevy:

FWIW, I get roughly 11-14mpg average with stop and go driving, and between 17-20mpg on the highway.

I am fairly stock with a PCM tweek, average about 15.2 overall.

Wow you are way ahead of me. I just checked my average on my way home from work and it's 11.2 :uhoh: . I've just stopped caring about the gas prices, the best way is to just roll in and don't even look at the price because either way your stuck paying it.

I agree with the others, I love my truck, I use it as my DD and I will not be getting rid of it no matter how high gas gets. I considered getting something more economical in addition to my truck as a dd but I feel safe in my truck and like I said, I Love It. I have found myself not punching it as much as I once did but hey, I still do it from time to time.

I bought a cheap ugly 88 acura teg for a daily driver and drive my truck on the weekend. this serves two purposes, save gas money and to keep from running up the mileage on my truck. a tune, cai and exhaust help the mileage a little if you can keep your foot out of it. in the end its an awd drive 6liter SS with sucky gas mileage.

apparently filling your tires with nitrogen instead of oxygen is supposed to give you up to a 10% increase, there are kits for it

I've seen fliers for that around a few local shops. Apparently there are a few benefits to it, including no water/humidity inside the tire (causing dry rot and inner rust of the rim), and the nitrogen doesn't change pressure with temperature so easily (so your tires keep a more constant pressure instead of having "hot" and "cold" pressure readings), among other things.

I've been thinking about getting that done but at this point there's no real reason. Maybe when I get some really nice rims and tires and I don't want to think about the rims/tires rusting/rotting from the inside out.

Apparently there are a few benefits to it, including no water/humidity inside the tire (causing dry rot and inner rust of the rim), and the nitrogen doesn't change pressure with temperature so easily

Here's my opinion which might stir the pot...

Air is already 78% Nitrogen, so when you're buying "Nitrogen" you're just getting air without the oxygen/co2 and other trace gases.

Its something nice, has its benefits, but is it worth paying more for? In my cheapskate life, nahh. Others with more money perhaps.

I am fairly stock with a PCM tweek, average about 15.2 overall.

Its gas mileage you're after? Get hptuners ($650 for the one with wideband inputs), and a wideband (plx afr for $180). Go to a dyno ($100/hr) and get your VE table dialed in.

Turn off closed loop so that your truck is not running on the o2 sensors. Go to the commanded open loop fuel ratio, set it at 15-16:1 at low map values, or dial in lean cruise.

I saw my air fuel ratio up around 16 doing this. When I step on it it drops to 13:1, then during low load levels it leans out to 16:1.

You can also bump up your timing, each degree of timing can yield 5hp. I know the stock table on mine was so absurdly low that I actually had spark knock from too little timing. Bump it up keeping the stock geometry until you encounter knock-retard, then back off where the knock happens.