Question About My Awd

Im planning a trip here in few weeks and im trying to do wutever i can to save gas. i was wondering if the front drive shafts on the awd trucks can be removed and run in just two wheel drive or will the transfer case just leak? anyone tried it or know anything about doing that? any advice will help. thanks

I don't believe that it will leak but is sure is not good for it. If you want to save gas you will just have to not speed on the highway. There were some posts in the past about people getting up to 20 mpg w/ their SSS :dunno: but it sure wasn't me. The best I have done is 17.6mpg.

I don't believe that it will leak but is sure is not good for it. If you want to save gas you will just have to not speed on the highway. There were some posts in the past about people getting up to 20 mpg w/ their SSS :dunno: but it sure wasn't me. The best I have done is 17.6mpg.

yeah the best i have got is 16 or 17 also. so you think it will hurt it by running it in two wheel drive?

doing it on the dyno is okay but for any period of time driving on the road...not okay...btw it wont leak...leave it in and deal with the gas mileage lol...now i have done that on a 4wd truck but that cause you can put the t-case in 2wd

It can be done, my personal best was 21 mpg, traveling 60 mph from OKC to Houston. I was also babying the pedal the whole way home. Cruise control is nice, but in my experience, uses more throttle than necessary. It may have also been real gas, not that 10% ethanol crap everyone has these days.

i would say your best bet is to keep it under or right at 2000 rpms, i did that coming back from the lake which is about 2xx miles and got 19 all the way

2K rpm in my truck (and probably most everybody's, right?) is 65MPH. I know I'm getting passed like I'm standing still on the NJ Turnpike, but I set the cruise, stay in the right lane unless I have to pass, and the mileage is about as good as you can expect from a 5500 lb. truck with a 6 liter engine. :chevy:

Not wise to take them out, it's an AWD set up. You won't save that much, but risk HUGE amount in damage, so it's a gamble that shouldn't be taken. However, if you wish to take the gamble, I hope luck is on your side.

Where you going?

• 2 weeks later...

well i just took my front shaft off and the truck will run fine, but.... As soon as i took it off i burned that rubber and it felt good. i was cruisin for a couple of hours and was gona do a burout for my buddies and well i think i snapped the chain in the case. the truck wouldnt move at all, good news i had my front shaft in the truck and put it on in 10 minuts. luckily it moved and i got home. pretty sure the chain is snapped but not sure why it moved when i put the shaft in. sooo i would leave it in, too much temp to burn the rubber and breaking. sooo i learned the leason for u. lol