Volant Install complete...

SSminneapolis

took mine for a drive in stop n go and highway. off idel a lot better responce

more power at mid and wot. after half throttle it gets a little loud :D

at wot it is LOUD :D:D:thumbs:

but goooood. big inprovment over stock air box and a k&n filter.

cares - not sure if you can afford :D but incall/outcall services avaliable ;)

if anything give me a call - sent you a PM - and i can walk you through what i did to make it work. shortens the learning curve nicely.

yeah Ben, i didn't get to cleaning the engine bay. but i can assure you that it is on my list. i was a little embarassed to pose pics but these things happen. i might opt for the plexiglass as well but i like the cover on there...

I got three lined up also, but I figure that even one would be fine. SSMN, did you have to special order that cover? Mine came with a plastic carbin fiber look one with the Volant plac screwed on it upside down. And now that Ben has been talking about getting a plexi glass cover, I might go that rout also, I think a light red tint on it would look sweet.

C.K.

I have heard that the volant air tube and intake are not all that they are cracked up to be?? Please give us a driving impression? WHat is the air filter that the kit uses?

I also heard that over at the Avalanche site.

I'm not sure what to think. I'm kind of stuck on the stock airbox for now - after some bad experiences with my UPD.

I've seen a dyno where a 4" opening in the stock airbox, hurt...

A few complaints have been around the fact that the Volant (with that extra hole blocked up) still pulls air from the same two holes the stock airbox does from... so they nay-sayers have said, "how can it possibly make more power?"

Others have complained about how tight the fit of the filter is inside the box... saying the closeness of it to the sides of it, possibly restricts airflow.

Okay, not being all that familiar with other brands other than the Volant, where do other aftermarket units suck their air from? If you tell me from the engine bay, then I'll take the Volant way. Sucking in hot air is not the way I want to go. Way too hot in an engine bay with headers and a supercharger. So if my flow is less than an open element, I would think the diffs are cancelled out by the intense heat being sucked in.

Just my thoughts. The hole in the fender panel that air is taken from, remains the same size by your choice. I cut mine out. My hole in the fender panel, which is much smaller than the hole in the box, now match. I done this at the beginning which I posted way back. Only because one of the magazines did it and saw 7hp diff on a dyno just from the enlarged hole. That was about 3 years ago (article). So mine is not two holes, but one big one instead.

I don't see the closeness of the filter to the box being an issue, although it may. Air does flow all the way around it

Mine went on no prob without taking the fan shroud off. I also got 3 of the bolts to line up and had the same issues with the VOLANT plack on the lid being upside dow.. I just unscrewed it and turned it over.

I also have issues with the lid and all 4 screws lining up... you have to put them all in then tighten, I'd think something like this would be designed better??? I do really like the look of that new lid though... sweet.

Question... I put a custom ram air into the bottom of the volant box and was trying to seal the side intake this weekend... any suggestions on how to do this?? I cut a piece of rubber into shape and then used 2 part apoxy and aluminum rivits to put it over the hole..... seems to be ok but would like something cleaner.

rdss - that was the cover that came with the box.

lucky - i am going to do a similar set up as you have. only i am going to go through the center part of the lower valance. so that if the fog lights work i can install them in the brake ducts.

intially i had three lined up. but once i got everything in i could only get two. the one that would just not line up was the back left screw. about a half inch off.

side note: the problem that i was having wiht the shifts after i got my crap tune was completely solved after i got the volant installed. everything is nice and smooth now. i was getting a little bit worried but figured that once i got the volant in it would be fine. probably just wasn't getting enough air.

Okay, not being all that familiar with other brands other than the Volant, where do other aftermarket units suck their air from?  If you tell me from the engine bay, then I'll take the Volant way.  Sucking in hot air is not the way I want to go.  Way too hot in an engine bay with headers and a supercharger.  So if my flow is less than an open element, I would think the diffs are cancelled out by the intense heat being sucked in.

Just my thoughts.  The hole in the fender panel that air is taken from, remains the same size by your choice.  I cut mine out.  My hole in the fender panel, which is much smaller than the hole in the box, now match.  I done this at the beginning which I posted way back.  Only because one of the magazines did it and saw 7hp diff on a dyno just from the enlarged hole.  That was about 3 years ago (article).  So mine is not two holes, but one big one instead.

I don't see the closeness of the filter to the box being an issue, although it may.  Air does flow all the way around it

Not sure if this helps the conversation any, but I felt a noticable increased difference in the 5kRPM to rev limit difference when I blocked the original holes. I used A/C tape from Home Depot.

So the original problem was, I cut a 6" oval hole in the bottom of the original airbox with a sawzall. The truck had better off idle get up but felt like it was dying above 5k RPM. I read one of Ben's comments about air coming in from two locations inside that airbox. The vette's have that problem with some after market CAI products. So, I taped off the two original air holes, also changed the tube out to PVC 4" and then had Allen change the shift from 5400 to 5800 and I cut 3/10s off at the track. It was cooler this time and there was little humidity... but 3/10s is quite a bit in this big of a vehicle.

Archived