Custom Exhaust

This has probably been covered before, but here goes: I've got my buddy from a nhra team fabbing up some custom exhaust tips, and looking under my truck and seeing that ginormous muffler got me thinking, instead of paying 500 + for a cat back exhaust, is there a dual in/dual out muffler that will let me remove the muffler, replace with after market muffler, and fab up short pieces of exhaust to exit in front of the wheels? Also, how does this affect the computer? I'll eventually be upgrading to a cai, headers and hi-flo cats, and a new tune, but since I just had a new baby, i need to let the bank account grow again. Any thoughts or suggestions as to what muffler sounds good, or photos. Thanks

This is a topic that will get several answers Im sure. I went with a dual muffler magnaflow set up. You can do single or dual exhaust. The only way it will mess with your PCM is if you cut off the cats without deleting them in the PCM. Then you can have your friend fab up the peices you want for a side exit exhuast and weld them in.

Magnaflow makes a dual in dual out that will swap right in.

It will need extensions as you presumed to make up the difference between the magnaflow and the 55 gallon drum that's under there now.

The setup I am piecing together is a 2.5 Xpipe, dual in/out 2.5" to dual SLP tips exiting just in front of the right rear tire.

It should come in nearly $300 under any catback I have been interested in and still be all stainless.

They are raping people for cat backs these days and I really don't like any of them

The Gibson Sport Truck side exit is about as close as it gets and for $600+ for a side exit.. cmon now...

I cant even get anyone at Gibson to return my emails so I gave up and started buying parts to build my own.

Taking it to a local tuner that's gonna do all the welding and support brackets.

You may want to find a local exhaust shop that does custom exhausts. Mine cost about 250-300 bucks and was built for MY truck. Just don't use midas... or anyone else with "off the shelf" exhaust systems. Make sure it is the right size and not that "crinkle bent" tubing. Ooh, unless you are in Cali... I believe they have certain restrictions on that sort of thing.

Edited by TXblueSS (see edit history)

I just can't justify spending 600 + on a crappy cat back exhaust. I'd rather spend a couple hundred now, and take the money I saved and put it towards a set of headers and hi-flo cats.

Corsa cat back isn't crappy dude. Its an all stainless work of art. Do so looking around on here.

IMO Magnaflow Cans P/N 14419 These are a "race" type muffler with straight thru flow. Sounds loud and unbearable but they are actually quite mild in tone. They are a single 3" in/out with 4" overall diameter. You'll need two and my cost installed in the factory location with no tail pipe modifications was $290 drive out. Like I said they had a very mild tone under normal acceleration, no cab drone, but would let you know when you opened it up. :D

I'm not saying any one system is crappy, I just think that spending 600+ on a exhaust is a bit much for me. Besides, I want it race car loud, and I think that this is a start. Winter's around the corner(sucks), so I'll have time to add headers before the spring.

btw, do we have 3" exhaust inlet, or 2 1/2? Also, will it make a major diff. if we have 2 1/2 and i step up to three?

Edited by BadSSChevy (see edit history)

I'm not saying any one system is crappy, I just think that spending 600+ on a exhaust is a bit much for me. Besides, I want it race car loud, and I think that this is a start. Winter's around the corner(sucks), so I'll have time to add headers before the spring.

btw, do we have 3" exhaust inlet, or 2 1/2? Also, will it make a major diff. if we have 2 1/2 and i step up to three?

we have dual 2.5'' inlet and i can't remember if it is 3 or 3.5'' outlet. i would stay 2.5 dual atleast

The stock muffler is a dual 2-1/2" inlet and a dual 2-1/2" outlet that Y's into a single 3-1/2 tailpipe. I would stick with 2-1/2" pipe unless you are running boost or juice, then 3" should be a consideration. :chevy: