AWD conversion/gear splitter

hey gang, I was hoping you could provide some insight. I was looking at building a '98 S-10 with an LS1, hopped up. to put it mildy, they have traction issues. so I was thinking about getting a 4WD, then converting to AWD. I know the old syclones started as 4WD. also, I was wanting a gear splitter.

So, my two questions really are:

1. do you think I could swap in the transfer case from your trucks or another vehicle to get AWD? I've seen it done with a syclone case to another S-10...

2. do you know if Gearvendors makes a gear splitter that would work on our trucks?

I plan on attempting to run carbon fiber driveshafts, with Z06 17" or 18" wheels all around with the 315 F1 Supercars, to try to enhance handling and reduce unsprung weight. What do you think? thanks in advance guys.

you'd be better off using the transfercase from an ss or escalde with a 4L65E trans. that's what lingenfelters 427 twin turbo truck used and it only had failures from launching hard enough to starve the trans pump of fluid. he used a regular cab sonoma with z06 17 inch wheels and stock front and rear diffs. there are articles of it all over the web.

You could use one from the fullsizes like sippy said. I think the denalis and other AWD fullsizes use the same t-case as well, but they dont use the 4L65, they use the 4L60, which is just a little weaker than the 65, but basically the same.

As far as the gear vendors thing, no you cant use it. They bolt on after the transfer case and because of this you wouldnt be able to use that setup on a full time 4wd or AWD truck, because it will only be doing the gear reduction to the rear and not the front. If you just kept it as a regular 4x4 you could use it, then just lock it in 4wd when you want to drag race, just make sure you dont use the gear vendors while your in 4wd.

I saw that S10 or sanoma actually in the articles and man that thing was nasty. If I remember right the thing blew up during the test and couldn't finish the shoot out.

Too much cahoona's I guess :jester:

So you mean that somebody's already done this? Drat...:D.

So he used the transfer case and tranny from an SS and all-wheel drive, or a transfer case from an Escalade (4X4?) and 4-wheel drive? The Gearvendors takes the place of the tailshaft, so I thought that it would be before. Regardless, this sounds most promising. With a head, cam, and intake job, it sounds like my project will really put the hurt on some cars...hear snaky snaky snakies...

Archived