BMW Z4 Embarrassed

I CORNER

I don't normally horse around on the street, as my 1994 Z28 6-speed with 315 tires, load exhaust and jamming gears is just too much drama for normal sane street driving and people expect my 1996 Impala SS to be more racey.

However, when a BMW Z4 with driver and passenger abruptly cut me off to get 1st in line at the traffic light in front of me, I had to toast them! My truck is bone stock, but I nailed it I pulled up right beside him and kept up with him to 80 mph. He has hitting it hard and jamming the gears, but could not pull away from me. When we stopped at the next traffic light, I felt like lowering the window and yelling "that thing is pretty slow for a sports car!". Graceously, I resisted the temptation to be a creep. He was embarrassed enough, that he could not outrun a 5200 truck with an 80lb bag of water softener salt and another 100lbs of BJs wholesale goods in the bed.

I thought that BMW Z4 manual transmission sports cars would be faster than the Silverado SS.

Rick R

The Z4 has 231hp and a 0-60 of 6.2, so that is pretty close to the SS. But once you got out on the open highway it would surely pull alway since the top speed is 151mph.

The Z4 is just a roadster, but they are cool looking.

Way to show up those beemers... :thumbs:

6.2 to 60 is quite a difference to the ss. the z4 should have handed you your ass.

1 full second difference at the track would make a difference but on the street anything is game, especially if you jump the gun… ;)

6.2 with a professional driver. I don't know to many people with BMWs that actually know how to drive, 0 to 60 anyways. Just a bunch of people with big heads driving down the freeways fast and rude like they own the whole road. :chevy:

Thanks for the support. I hate rude drivers.

I did get the jump on him, as to come from behind him and pull up next to him, but he was already on it. As far as him pulling away at street speeds, maybe the extra weight of the passenger (about 200lbs) makes a bigger difference in a relatively light sports car than the already heavy Silverado SS truck.

A buddy of mine who is an SCCA instructor took me for a ride in his 2000lb A/C Cobra kit car with about 340hp once and he kept apologizing that my extra weight (230lbs at the time) was slowing the car down, being I was over 10% of the cars total weignt (including his weight). He said that the car felt alot faster with him driving alone. My 3500lb Z28 is also affected by more weight, but not as dramatically.

Also, don't they make the Z4 with 2 different engines? If so, I am not sure which engine it had, but it looked like a sportier version. At any rate, the Z4 is supposed to be alot quicker than the old dog Z3.

Rick R

Archived