So I Joined The U.s. Coast Guard...

TheGunny

You should have chose the district more southern on the east coast down here with me. The Coast Guard has a base in Charleston, SC that would be a cool place. Its almost winter anyway you dont want to be up in NY for that. Plus you might get to inspect some of the boats I work on if youre here. I hope you like it in the CG, good luck with everything...

So I gave up my really cush well paying job working Haz-Mat and emergency response for the studios, to join the U.S. Coast Guard... I want to go out and see things ordinary civilian life does not make possible, and get out of socal for a while, I'm sick of the traffic smog, and most of the people... I just need a pretty drastic change in my life... Anyways I'm so stoked about it, it's a huge paycut but I guess you just gotta do what makes you happy some times. I leave for boot camp sept 8 so I want be on the froums for a while (not that I have been very active as of late anyways). I scored pretty high on the ASVAB so they are guaranteeing my first district, I chose district 1 which is maine through NY, that cold weather will be a change :uhoh: ... So my truck will probably come with after boot, unless i'm on a cutter, so I look forward to maybe meeting some of you east coast guys..

Yep, I almost did the same thing. Except I was going from Fire Rescue to the Marine Corps. I was going back and forth with recruiters on a weekly basis, took the ASVAB and my score was high enough to put me in my desired MOS of 0741 Aricraft/Aviation Fire Rescue. I know its not too late to join seeing as how I am still young, but I'll always have that thought in the back of my mind.

I've also thought about joining the forces, hopefully in some Fire/Rescue/EMS division, to extend my training, but I just can't seem to be able to leave everyone, and everything behind.

Thats my thought exactly. Also thought of being a corpsman for the navy. Pretty much a field paramedic or field doctor.

Enjoy Puddle Pirate, J/K I did the same thing when i joined the Navy. Was doing the same thing day after day. I dont regret it. Remember the one in boot camp who's the quiet one has the easiest time going through it. When I graduated boot camp the instructors didnt even know my name. i had it easier than most. Just do what your told and keep quiet. :cheers:

Ahaha... Puddle pirate. Who you calling Puddle Pirate? Squid, lol, J/K bro it's all good but here are some facts for you. I am in the Coast Guard (E-5/PO2). Just so you know we also have bases in different parts of the world and travel all over the world, it is just less comon for the Guard cuz we are so small. As a matter of fact here are some bases we have. Japan, Guam, Puerto Rico, Kuwait, Bahrain, etc. Also our ships deploy all over the place. Just look it up. I am actually transfering for a year to Bahrain this month. The reason everyone thinks we don't deploy is because we are so small that thru the entire Coast Guard we have less people than the NY Police Department so no one ever hears a lot about us. BTW I love all the services and my sister is in the Air Force. It was just a few facts I wanted to throw out to you all.

Anyhow man if you need any info on what to expect that the recruter probably didn't tell you then PM me and I will give you my e-mail to tell you further. You will be suprised at boot camp, lol. Enjoy and good luck... Oh I forgot to say. I am from SoCal also.

Yep, I almost did the same thing. Except I was going from Fire Rescue to the Marine Corps. I was going back and forth with recruiters on a weekly basis, took the ASVAB and my score was high enough to put me in my desired MOS of 0741 Aricraft/Aviation Fire Rescue. I know its not too late to join seeing as how I am still young, but I'll always have that thought in the back of my mind.

That's the same thing with me bro, but then again it is four years. I don't know maybe I'll join nothing really to do here in Southern Cali.