Ar-15's (assault Rifles)

Holty

New to AR's and I'm in the market to pick one up this week. I've done a good bit of research but want to get everyone's opinion. What make/model's do you like and why? I plan on picking one up locally, not online. i want to buy from my local gun shops, i do not want to buy online. I know, I know, i'm probably foolish for this, but thats my choice. I like to FEEL and SEE the rifle BEFORE i purchase it. The local shops sell pretty much all the major brands including Smith & Wesson, Bushmaster, DPMS, Armalite, and Springfield Armory just to name a few. I plan on using the firearm to target practice 90% of the time and possibly some small game hunting, and lastly for general home defense, and by Home Defense i mean this AR will be kinda like if the shit ever hits the fan kinda gun home defense situations lol. I don't plan on going crazy with accessories, but i do want either a nice scope or a red dot sight. The guy working behind the counter says he likes the Smith & Wesson M&P because of its great warranty. They had a nice "tactical" model there on display for $1500. I would prefer to keep the price $1500 or less. Would you guys recommend something for me? I know there is no "best" firearm for everyone, i'm just looking to get a feel for what everyone likes and why they like them. .223 of course. I also know the same old song about how firearms are like legos and i should build my own and everyone is different. I'm not interested in building my own for my first one. thanks.

I'm looking at a few different models right now:

6721 is a 1-9 twist 16" Hbar

Colt AR15 A3 6721

ar15a3.jpg

6920 is a 1-7 twist 16" M4 barrel

Colt M4 Carbine 6920 AR15 16"

lecarbine.jpg

Smith & Wesson M&P15 Tactical

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/sto...amp;isFirearm=Y

811001_spec_sm.jpg

Can someone explain the rifling twist of 1 turn in 7" and 1 turn in 9". I know what "rifling" is, but what is the advantage of one over the other? How will this "rifling" configuration affect me or my choice of ammo?

i bought mine from a local guy here in MO...he gave me a speech about how the uppers are all the same...what they do is all major companies us the same internals and just change the case with there logo....so you are buying the name rather than anything else...that is what i have been told so.....i have a double star and i like it...i have a scope that is a 24 power with the minutes of angle on it which is a nice feature..also look at the magpul stocks they are supposed to help with accuracy alot..my friend has the same double star and he has a red dot scope and he is now changing since the red dots are so range sensitive...if you want a red dot scope i would say to get the flip magnifier that attaches behind the red dot...they are kinda expensive....also something cool...aug 28 here in MO silencers are becoming legal so just thought i would throw that in there...also i would say go with the flat top rail rather than the handle rail...looks better when you mount a scope

post-8838-1218556318_thumb.jpg

Edited by keebler85 (see edit history)

I hate you guys!!!LOL I live in komifornia and I cant own one or purchace one. the only ones that have those now around here legaly are the ones that got grandfathered long time ago. I like either the springfield or the S&W.

actually you can own these in ca. you just have to know the legalities of making one. certain receivers are illeagle here ( imo the best ones)

a little off topic but you have to have a fixed mag and a few other small things which still have loop holes

btw josh i have shot a bushmaster and the quality seemed very nice and i have seen the colt before and it looked to be pretty nice too.

jonmalibuss has one and ive been with the range with him and his friend who had an ar in .50 cal.