Tattoo Guys

00silverad0

Ok guys, so I have decided to finally go through with my tat. Heres the basic premise of it. I want an American Flag with 2 dog tags attatched to it or something of that general idea. I have a really quick sketch of what I am looking for, but everywhere I have gone said I should not do a flat flag due to skin movement over the years it will not look as good in a couple years or so. Its going to be on my back right shoulder.

Heres the drawing I had.

DSCF0081-1.jpg

I went today and the chick drew me up something like this. She quoted me 320 for the flag colored in Red, White and Blue with grey shading in the background. Does that sound high ?

DSCF0082.jpg

I want to try and stay away from the waving flag idea. Do you guys have any ideas? Dosent have to be this idea at all, just something involving an American Flag and 2 dog tags. Thanks for any imput.

straight lines are very, scratch that, extremely hard to pull off... and because of the variations of your skin they probably wont look good and it will look sloppy...

the waving flag would be something you should consider...

320 is NOT at all a lot of money for something like this... my left arm sleeve was $6k...

the small detail of the stars won't hold up over time. and unless you go large, the 13 stripes could blend in time too if done too small.

as for price, that isn't bad at all!!

a suggestion that I might add, I would offset the tags alittle. I think it would look better IMHO. as for straight lines, Dave is right. your body will distort the flags lines. a waving flag, or even a slight wave, might be the way to go.

good luck! :cheers:

the stars are going to be tuff if u want it perfect that wont be imo the stars are way to hard to be the same and straight lines are hard but wont come out that bad. i think a wavy flag would be better in the long run.

get it just like that:

DSCF0082.jpg

I agree with Wody...there is no way I would let that chick near me with a needle after that drawing...keep looking around until you have someone that will work with you and actually show(draw) you something very similar to what your tattoo will look like...

I agree with Wody...there is no way I would let that chick near me with a needle after that drawing...keep looking around until you have someone that will work with you and actually show(draw) you something very similar to what your tattoo will look like...

hahaha wouldnt even let that chick get near me with a crayon!

I agree, shop around until you find someone who will sit and work with you. any decent tattoo artist will spend the time to draw out an idea with you if they want to make the sale.

AHHHAAAA... Are you guys saying that sketch isnt good? HAHAHA I drew that up just to give a general idea of what she was wanting to do. As you may know, alot of artists dont let you take anything they draw up with you. Sorry for the confusion.

AHHHAAAA... Are you guys saying that sketch isnt good? HAHAHA I drew that up just to give a general idea of what she was wanting to do. As you may know, alot of artists dont let you take anything they draw up with you. Sorry for the confusion.

Mental note "dont let SSSmoke Eater draw next tattoo". Got it! j/k!...but seriously

I'd say your best bet is to take your rough idea (without your wonderful sketch haha) to an artist and see what they suggest. They may put you in a different direction but it may be in your best benefit to listen. Also they may come up with an idea thats better than you ever imagined. if they say a flat flag is bad then listen, they've been tattooing longer than you have, they would know. Just a thought.

Good luck bro.

yeah no dont do a flat flag, let it have the wave or ripple in it...

who does tattoos these days anyways, they are gay

*disclaimer i have a full sleeve and my leg covered, im just meesing with him

I'm with the rest of the crowd. Flat isn't the way to go IMO, just because of how your skin changes over time. If the artist said a flat flag isn't a good idea, I'd take that into consideration since she know much more about the subject than the average joe. If the flag lookes as though it's unfurling it will give it not only less noticeable changes over time, but a nice 3D effect as well. Hopefully she is good enough to warrant the money you're looking to invest in her talent as you'll be carring the proof of it around forever.

Here are a few pics of the 2k I have invested in my left arm.

post-7317-1219434035_thumb.jpg

post-7317-1219434062_thumb.jpg

post-7317-1219434089_thumb.jpg

Edited by mr breze (see edit history)