Where To Buy Lowering Kit

rpss4844

2" spindles up front and hanger and shackle kit out back. its not hard just use common sense. if you can change a wheel bearing or brakes you should be ok. brand is your own choice. thats like what exhaust should i get lol. im waitin for tim to chime back with how these hanger/shackle kits dont need shims.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Tim, first of all, thanks for your opinions/expertise. I have a question...i have been waiting to drop my '04 SS for some time now. I've read Mr P's how-to as well as all other opinions and they're great. I want to get the most expertise i can before i start this. I just need to get it in gear. I know i can do certain things in terms of mods go, but have been a bit reserved about this. Is it something your average joe with SOME technical ability should undertake? If so, i want to drop the front about 2" and the rear to whatever it takes to level it out. Of course, i tow a 21' boat on occasion so i don't want to do more than i should. Any suggestions on where to start, where/what to buy (with McGa parts), etc? I need to get this done. It belongs closer to the ground. I appreciate anything you got. Mike

hi mike

i have may customers who still do some towing with a 2/3.5 drop on there truck i would recomend an air bag helper kit for the rear. most of my customers end up installing the air bags after the first time they tow without them. i would stick to the spindle shackle hanger kit to drop the truck down. the leaf springs seam to ride a little ruffer. as for installing it, i reccomend taking it to a shop and having it done. the reason is because your suspension is what keeps your truck off the ground and the last thing you want to happen is have something brake fall apart or so on because something did not get tightened. if you done suspension work before and feel confident in doing it that its worth a shot.

thank you tim

2" spindles up front and hanger and shackle kit out back. its not hard just use common sense. if you can change a wheel bearing or brakes you should be ok. brand is your own choice. thats like what exhaust should i get lol. im waitin for tim to chime back with how these hanger/shackle kits dont need shims.

hi

the shackle and hanger ar not just designed to lower your truck x amount of inches. they also have pinion angle built into them. i have personaly never had to install shims on any truck i have worked on. however not all trucks are created equall. i have worked on several new body style silverados and found that some of the trucks wont align the front end. just rolling of the factory floor there are a few that are almost maxed out on the alignment and there at stock height. so im not saying that every truck is going to work that way. there may be some trucks that do need shims, but ive done 15 ss awd trucks and 20 2wd ss trucks and havenot had any driveline vibration. i have also lowered about 40 regular silverados and not had any vibration issues.

thanks tim

I'd have to say i agree with you Tim. I really think i could gut through the job and i THINK i'd enjoy it, but too much to chance. Maybe don't trust myself enough. The money to have it done will be well worth it, i'm sure. As for the airbags, that's gonna happen with the drop. I need a good ride and don't want to sacrifice to much for the drop. The interesting part of this is going to be finding a good shop in northcentral kansas. Thanks for all the input, it's much appreciated.

thanks for the reply. have all the kits you installed been mcguaghys?

hi

no i have installed competitors kits and have had problems. the first bel spindle that was a clone of mcgaughys was good untill they were forced to stop making them the new spindle they offer is 1.5 inches taller than stock which is why some guys have problems with alignments. that is also why they now offer offset bushing and camber kits. i now will not install any of there components. i still have guys calling me asking me to install a bel kit or djm kit on there trucks but i no longer want the liabilty of those kits or the headache. sorry for my spelling i know its horible. when i was in high school thats all i use to use was bel they were the top of the line product but now it seams like mcgaughys in the new top dog. thats just my opinon everbody has there own beliefs.

thank you tim

I'd have to say i agree with you Tim. I really think i could gut through the job and i THINK i'd enjoy it, but too much to chance. Maybe don't trust myself enough. The money to have it done will be well worth it, i'm sure. As for the airbags, that's gonna happen with the drop. I need a good ride and don't want to sacrifice to much for the drop. The interesting part of this is going to be finding a good shop in northcentral kansas. Thanks for all the input, it's much appreciated.

hi

any mechanics shop should be able to do the instalation for you if they just simply follow the instructions provide. just take it to a good dependable mechanics shop.

thank you tim

ok ill look into the mcguaghys drop hanger shackles kit. also due to the fact that i have the choice of drop with one kit. i have belltech spindles and have no problem with them. and my other truck is all djm and never had a problem with it and its been in for 8 years. thanks again. rob

ok ill look into the mcguaghys drop hanger shackles kit. also due to the fact that i have the choice of drop with one kit. i have belltech spindles and have no problem with them. and my other truck is all djm and never had a problem with it and its been in for 8 years. thanks again. rob

I installed a djm kit on a 3/4 ton truck about 5 yrs ago and had it back in my shop twice to replace the broken a frame that it had also what bel spindle do you have. is it the new style or old style like i said befor the old style (copy of mcgaughys) i never had problems with. but i only lowered one truck with the new style and could not get the front end to align. with the camber kit. it was still out about 1 degree. i took them off and the camber kit and installed a mcgaughys spindle and the truck aligned perfectly. like i stated befor everyone has there own opinions.

do you know if the part number for the belltech spindle (old or new style) are different? i was curious. if so do you have the part numbers? i have no problem with mine. alignment if off but i got the torsion bars turned down alot.

hi

as far as i can remember they are the same part number. if your alignment is off evern with your torsion bars turned down you probably have the new spindle.

the onlder one you should be able to drop 5 inches in the front and still align. when did you purchase the spindles.

thank you tim