Mail Order Vs Street Tune

CenWaSS

Just curious what the difference is between a mail order and street tune. Is there that big of a difference?

The reason I ask is recently I raced another AWD SS with no mods except for a street tune and he was on stock 20's. Anyway we raced twice and we were basically even the first race and I had him by a nose maybe half a truck on the second run. I've got considerably more mods (see sig) than he does, granted I was on 22's, though I did not think they would make that big of a difference. Only thing I can think of is the difference in tunes. Any ideas? My truck seems to run hard so I dont understand.

Any info is appreciated.

IMO a mail order tune (and I know there is more to it, but to put it simple) are a bunch of basic changes to the pcm based on a tuners experience. A street tune allows a tuner to log info and make changes based on how/what your truck is really doing/running. I ordered a tune from Brian at PCMforLess and was pretty happy w/ the difference in how the truck ran. My best 1/4 mile time was 14.6 w/mail order tune, catback (flowmaster di/do), and CAI. I then decides that I wanted to add a 160* t-stat and knew I would need a retune. So I found a place local and had them install the t-stat and make some logging runs for a "street tune". The tuner came back and looked over the logs and he knew who had tuned my PCM just from the way things were adjusted (running to much timing and way to lean) so Scott rewrote the tune and uploaded it to my truck and I was off to the track to see if there was a difference. I dropped to a new best of 14.3 w/new tune, 160 t-stat, catback, and CAI. I then added two 3' cutouts and took my spare tire and tailgate off and ran a 14.1.

Have you made any 1/4 runs w/ all your mods listed in your sig? I am certain that if I had all your mods on my truck I would be running mid 13's all day long.

IMO a mail order tune (and I know there is more to it, but to put it simple) are a bunch of basic changes to the pcm based on a tuners experience. A street tune allows a tuner to log info and make changes based on how/what your truck is really doing/running. I ordered a tune from Brian at PCMforLess and was pretty happy w/ the difference in how the truck ran. My best 1/4 mile time was 14.6 w/mail order tune, catback (flowmaster di/do), and CAI. I then decides that I wanted to add a 160* t-stat and knew I would need a retune. So I found a place local and had them install the t-stat and make some logging runs for a "street tune". The tuner came back and looked over the logs and he knew who had tuned my PCM just from the way things were adjusted (running to much timing and way to lean) so Scott rewrote the tune and uploaded it to my truck and I was off to the track to see if there was a difference. I dropped to a new best of 14.3 w/new tune, 160 t-stat, catback, and CAI. I then added two 3' cutouts and took my spare tire and tailgate off and ran a 14.1.

Have you made any 1/4 runs w/ all your mods listed in your sig? I am certain that if I had all your mods on my truck I would be running mid 13's all day long.

I hoping to go to the track this month, but for now I have not ran my truck at the track. Ya, I was thinking I should be running a 13.8 or so. I also ran the same guy in his Joe Gibbs sc'd tahoe and he got me by 2 or 3 lengths, that hoe went 13.8 at the track with 6lbs of boost now I beleive he's at 9lbs.

I think Im going to look into a street tune and 16" wheels.

This is one of the few mail order type questions I'll leave in here. An in person tune is always better. Any time the tuner has the ability to tune your truck in person and take more than one shot at it you have the best chance at the most power and drivabilty available to you. Even better if he has a wideband.

This is one of the few mail order type questions I'll leave in here. An in person tune is always better. Any time the tuner has the ability to tune your truck in person and take more than one shot at it you have the best chance at the most power and drivabilty available to you. Even better if he has a wideband.

Thanks Zippy...can you explain what a wideband is?

Even better if he has a wideband.

Good point. The tuner also installed one on my truck for logging. I have the bung still but have never added a wideband for my own use, I would have to change my 2 hole gauge pod out for a 3 hole, just didn't really need it.

Rolling on 22's will hurt your performance a bit IMO, the weight them alone will proably cut 1 to 2 tenths off your 1/4 time. I agree that a street tune is the best case scenario for your tuning needs, but that option isn't always available to everyone. Alot of it also rides on the tuner you choose, a more experienced tuner will know what changes to make to get the best gains. We have some great tuners here who know what they are doing i.e. Wheatley, Zippy, and .justin.

FWIW, Charlie Wheatley has never seen my truck in person, nor has he ever seen a log of how it runs. We ran a couple logs at the track two weeks ago, my tune is very close to being spot on, I only need a couple minor tweaks(Krambo analyzed my logs). Charlie tuned my truck that well without ever seeing it. A street tune is best, but I also think alot of it rides on the tuner you choose IMO.

Edited by Fireman31 (see edit history)

As Dan said the 22's will hurt you. I've tested this at the track and lost 0.3 when running my 22's compared to the stock 20's. Weight is a major factor. Let's say you had a full tank of gas and the other guy had less than a 1/4 tank. It's going to make a difference.

An in-person tune should be better than a mail order most of the time. I don't have anyone to tune mine in person so I let zippy tune it. He's got a ton of experience with other ss's running the maggie so my truck runs pretty dang good. :cheers:

As Dan said the 22's will hurt you. I've tested this at the track and lost 0.3 when running my 22's compared to the stock 20's. Weight is a major factor. Let's say you had a full tank of gas and the other guy had less than a 1/4 tank. It's going to make a difference.

An in-person tune should be better than a mail order most of the time. I don't have anyone to tune mine in person so I let zippy tune it. He's got a ton of experience with other ss's running the maggie so my truck runs pretty dang good. :cheers:

Come to think of it, I had just under 3/4 of a tank. The other SS was near empty (light was on) I know this because I went to the gas station with him after we raced.

street tune is better because you know what the truck is doin vs mail order lol you can ask art

i agree street tune or dyno tune is the best. BUT there are some tuners (.justin.) that will gather data (log) from your trucks pcm prior to modifying any performance changes to your pcm with a data log cable on mail order tunes.

as stated above a inperson tune if hte tuner knows what he isdoing is hands down a better tune. a mailorder if done by a good tuner will make the vehicle safe and have some gains to it over previously none tuned. no tuner wants his name to be branded bad. there are tuners however that plain old are horrible and shoudlnt touch a PCM. One was previously mentioned. a in person tuner can make the vehicle alittle more aggressive since he sees what is going on with the vehicle as he tunes it. and yes by doing this it will probably be faster then a vehicle with more mods and mailorder

well said yup to get the record stright im the one with mail order pcm with more mods then the other truck and the tune on the other truck was bad ass mad respect art

as stated above a inperson tune if hte tuner knows what he isdoing is hands down a better tune. a mailorder if done by a good tuner will make the vehicle safe and have some gains to it over previously none tuned. no tuner wants his name to be branded bad. there are tuners however that plain old are horrible and shoudlnt touch a PCM. One was previously mentioned. a in person tuner can make the vehicle alittle more aggressive since he sees what is going on with the vehicle as he tunes it. and yes by doing this it will probably be faster then a vehicle with more mods and mailorder

well said yup to get the record stright im the one with mail order pcm with more mods then the other truck and the tune on the other truck was bad ass mad respect art

well i do have to admit my tune is pretty dead on :D . . . . .also remember im 2WD so im about ~400lbs lighter than you too :jester: we will run again when you get your new cam/re-tune done. . . .ill have some goodies for ya too :cheers:

Yea I'd say if you can get a live or logged tune you'd be better off. As mentioned above it's not a generic tune it's devloped around how your truck/car is running. I had Black Bear/Justin do mine and we discovered that my MAF will most likely need replacing soon and after installing the tuned PCM that the gas I'm using isn't up to par.

I'm not modded as much as you either so you might be surprised at what you can gain by going live/logged.