I Need So Advice...on Supercharged Code Thrower

HAILRZR

before it would throw code it ran like a raped ape, but it would get stuck in third within a day...now that torqe managment files are off it is a least drivable, but now power and shift points are messed up, the problem was no one could get it to stop throwing code... and was sick of rebuilding trans, and throwing money at it... so tried turning off the torqe files just to have my truck back as this went on for 4-6 months and needed to have wheels...now have 2nd set of wheels so... trying to decide what to do next

programer thought it was the stall was going over 3000 but trans guy drove it with meter hooked up and could not get it over 3000 but was getting it to throw code so...that didn't seem like stall to me... and of course guy who built tc wasn't excited about pulling it with out pay or better evidence...and I was out of time, needed truck and turning files off was free so thought I would give it a try...worked as far as drivable but still not right and after all that would now like to see if I can get it figured out...never been so frustrated when all that was going on, everyone pointing fingers at each other, and draining my wallet

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

the reduced power can be from a number of things, one most common is maxing the maf ,meaning your pulling more air than the maf is set at .

if i were you id get it an experienced tuner, i dont know how far zippy is from you but i would imagine getting the truck to him would be worth your while.

the reduced power can be from a number of things, one most common is maxing the maf ,meaning your pulling more air than the maf is set at .

if i were you id get it an experienced tuner, i dont know how far zippy is from you but i would imagine getting the truck to him would be worth your while.

IDK where he is but I am in Maryland now but will be going home to Iowa in a week then I can drive the truck back to Clinton,Maryland so if he's along that 900 mile stretch might work, also thinking of going to Biketoberfest in daytona around the 16th of Oct. so will have the eastern side of US covered...

but again power was good before I had programer turn of torque managment files off...

problem lies in the code being thrown... because the only reason it's not throwing the code is because I had the torque managment files shut off...so pretty sure power and shift problems stem from that(mngmnt files being shut off)

...problem is if I turn them back on then it throws the code?

Why does it throw the code? Can it be in Stall? or is it in the programing? or something else?

...never been so frustrated when all that was going on, everyone pointing fingers at each other, and draining my wallet

I feel for you. Crappy situation when everyone is passing the buck rather than coming together to figure out the problem. But in all fairness you're getting into an area (of performance) that very very few people have gotten into - your local tranny guy and speed shop are not going to have the answers to your tuning issues IMO, you need a seasoned hand for sure. I would encourage you keep the faith, you got all the right parts it's just a matter of tuning. Yes poor tuning (aka GUESSING) will burn stuff up fast, expensive stuff.

AFA the P0757 code, it is very well documented in the GM service manual, they have a whole article on it. Basically, the PCM is seeing momentary slippage in certain situations (duh gonna happen with the loose converter!) and the guys at Delphi who wrote the PCM code mistakenly assume that the fault for the slippage is the transmission rather than the converter, and this WOULD be a valid assumption in a stock truck because the OEM converter does not slip very much by comparison. Long story short, there is no problem with the converter or transmission, the PCM is just not used to the behavior and panics and thows a fault code. When this fault code is set the PCM will not let the transmission converter clutch work, you will not have 1st or 4th gears, and the transmission pump will run at full pressure; when you are driving, you can pull off to the side of the road and disconnect the negative battery lead for a minute and reconnect, the SES light will still be on but you will have all gears and (more importantly) the converter clutch back again so you can drive it on the highway without cooking the ATF.

Changing the actual programming of the PCM is out of the question, however a couple guys here have figured out a workaround to the problem by changing some of the converter clutch parameters in the PCM tune, search here for the P0757 code and you will find Krambo's thread. I have not tried these workarounds yet (I also get the P0757 code) but want to shortly. ALSO do NOT just disable this code in the PCM, because when there is a 'real' P0757 event that means there is a blockage in one of the hydraulic passageways in the shift body of the tranny and you will destroy 3rd (it will not completely release).

Mr. P.

Funny was searching old threads and found the original shop asking what to do...NeverSatisfiedMoto...back in Jan 2007....been that long...wow

Well it ended with him sending the ECM back to Ed Wright from fast chip and well like I said its not throwing code but not right either, and when I told him it was running through the gears he was like so... got some more info...and most of you guys were responding to him then...

and Ed Wright with fast Chips...is the original programmer and according to original shop he was very hard to deal with...but maybe I should contact them and see if they learned anything in the last 2 years in regards to programing...anyone heard of Ed????

more info....

Bassani headers and full Exhaust

FastChip custom software wrote for this particular truck

Zippy Performance shift kit

Midwest TRQ convertor with a 2600 stall

Looks like you all had the same issue...so has zippy been able to program around it by using...these guide lines???

I was able to get rid of this issue (at least it hasn't happened since,...3+ years) by doing three things in my tune:

1. Narrowed my TCC lock up / release MPH points in my tune. I had them farther apart (about a 10MPH+ spread) than most people, which I liked due to not having the converter lock and unlock when cruising around in my "hilly" area however this was suggested to me by a local LS1 tuner. I now have about a 5 - 8MPH spread under 50% TPS.

2. I also Zero'd my shift times since I had a shift kit.

3. I set my TCC duty cycle MAX table to 100 and the TCC duty cycle MIN to 90.

Maybe Zippy can comment on what I did and if that was appropriate for this situation. Since I haven't had this issue since, I figured it worked. :lol: However could be wrong...

You originally were running a shift kit with TM turned on? The use of a shift kit really eliminates the need for TM..........what are your line pressures set at? I hope they are not bumped up high over stock. Sounds like your trans tune needs a ton of work.

Listen to the guys who already chimed in on this thread, they know what they are talking about.

Edited by Fireman31 (see edit history)

You originally were running a shift kit with TM turned on? The use of a shift kit really eliminates the need for TM..........what are your line pressures set at? I hope they are not bumped up high over stock. Sounds like your trans tune needs a ton of work.

Listen to the guys who already chimed in on this thread, they know what they are talking about.

So I am seeing I need a lot of tune work, I sent an E-Mail with Krambo's protcal for a SOLUTION to the problem so I will see if Ed feels he can use that in conjuction with with the rest of the tune...as for not needing TM with shift kit, I don't know if I buy that because that is where I am at now and it isn't right, I have had the tranny gone over 3 times by 2 different shops with very high standards and outstanding reps... so, I have felt it is in the tune from the start as well and was hoping for more definitive answers from people the have had same issue. The other possability(in Fastchip's opinion) was TConverter but dosen't seem to be to valid.

from what I understand, the TCC duty cycle MAX/MIN tables are the magic bullet fix... :dunno:

I feel the same way Steve. The approach I did may be a little extreme in that setting the MAX table to 100 and MIN to 90 effectively eliminates TCC slip. How this prevents the PCM from tripping the 0757 code, I am not sure nor do I think its a true cure. It is really noticeable with a PI tripple disk converter. With the tables set like this, you can create driveability issues if your lock up speeds are too low (especially with the PI Vig as mentioned). So that being said, you may wish to lower the MIN table a tad to "soften the lock". With the very low TCC slip, I feel the P0757 code is less likely to trip. I also feel deleting this code is not quite the best approach however will deffinately keep you from having to deal with resetting it all the time.

I hope the pro's chime in here :cheers: I would like to see what their take on this is as for long term wear on parts and such. Some feel that some converter slip is desireable and others do not. Tuning is as much as personal preference as it is "best practices". I experimented with my truck and found what works for me,...this helped me.

HAILRZR, take my statements with a grain of salt as they may have worked for me, they may not work for you or may not be the best approach in your situation...AKA not validated as an approved protocol. :chevy:

EDIT: Curious as to where your missfire detection is set at. Sometimes if your PCM detects a misfire at low speeds, it will trip this code. May wish to bump that value up as well as added insurance...

Edited by Krambo (see edit history)

If I'm correct I talked with your trans builder a few times? (digging into memory now).

This could be as I know shift kit was ordered through you, if memory serves me you had a built-up trans for sale at the time and mentioned to the shop that spear headed this build. Because in the end I was thinking I could have built trans for what I spent on my stock one, because of these programing problems.

This could be as I know shift kit was ordered through you, if memory serves me you had a built-up trans for sale at the time and mentioned to the shop that spear headed this build. Because in the end I was thinking I could have built trans for what I spent on my stock one, because of these programing problems.

There as been some talk that this shouldn't be happening because of my lower stall, This may be a stupid question but is it possable the amount of power when it grabs the next gear is creating a certain amount of slip under load(going up small hill at low speed) and that slip is really whats is creating the computer to throw code. I mean to say stall 2600 would not be a factor and slip generated by tourqe would be...again I'm not experienced in this but my newbie logic has to ask, can the amount of stall be eliminated from the root of the problem? and narrowed to amount of slip