Transfer Case

I stripped the input shaft teeth right off the input shaft and rounded out the bearing gear it went into. There are issues with them. Most guys break or stretch the chain inside of them though. That could be the issue with yours, the chain could be stretched possibly and it only makes a noise at higher revolutions. Are you sure its your transfer case and not your front differential? My transfer case never made any noise until it broke. My front diff made lots of noise on the freeway (above50-60mph). I couldnt hear it at lower speeds. Is the chattering more like grinding or more like a popping sound? Is it consistant as in always sounds the same or does it vary?

I stripped the input shaft teeth right off the input shaft and rounded out the bearing gear it went into. There are issues with them. Most guys break or stretch the chain inside of them though. That could be the issue with yours, the chain could be stretched possibly and it only makes a noise at higher revolutions. Are you sure its your transfer case and not your front differential? My transfer case never made any noise until it broke. My front diff made lots of noise on the freeway (above50-60mph). I couldnt hear it at lower speeds. Is the chattering more like grinding or more like a popping sound? Is it consistant as in always sounds the same or does it vary?

it sounds like a chain slap n around and i noticed when i had my truck on the rack to change my res i saw trany oil from my transfer case all the way back to my exhaust and the chattering sounds like its directly under the driver side seat, i hope its not to exspensive to fix i have to take it to the dealer tomm

If you have trans oil and not transfer case oil (they use seperate oils), then you have a bigger problem. Did you check your trans fluid level on the trans dipstick? There is a seal on the tailshaft of the trans that prevents trans fluid from going into the transfer case, and that might have went. We could guess all night, but there is so much that could be the culprit. But either way, you are probably looking at pulling the transfer case and having it either replaced or rebuilt. Rebuilt is probably around a $1k and a new unit from the dealership was quoted to me at $1,550 here in michigan. I bought one online for $1,100 with a one year warranty from a national supplier. The first unit they sent me leaked bad and I had to pull it and they sent me another one and it has been fine with no issues. They lived up to their warranty.

If its the seal on the trans tailshaft, I have no idea if that can be fixed without removing the trans. Maybe a trans guru can chime in on that. If it leaked trans oil into the transfer case, that might have doen damage, might not have.

I ended up having to replace the trans and transfer case. Cost me over $4,000 by the time I got a new torque converter. I just had it all built bullet proof as possible though.

Good luck, I hope it is something stupid simple for you.

yea i jus got a word from the dealer and the rear case was broke it shattered n that was the noise i herd was the drive shaft slaping arond in there so im def look n at a new trans case i found a new one from jasper for 1300 and its got a 3 year 100,000 mile warranty it sucks cus i just replace my trans to i wish they built these trucks a lil stronger