Truck Is Running Very Bad

Hey guys,

I installed some new stuff in the truck like .040 head gasket, ls2 lifter guides, gmpp cts-vr lifters, comp cams push rods -.050, yella terra rockers and mezeire water pump and now the truck barley runs. It has a very bad idle like something with a vacuum leak smells VERY rich and the exhaust has distinct crackle in it. It is also kicking a MAF code something like 0101(i don't have it infront of me right now. I called zippy and he is working with me on it and will meet me saturday to tune it, which after 2 phone calls at 7:30 at night he thinks might be the whole problem, but i'd like to check every angle of this before he gets here so i don't waste his time on something i may have done wrong. So please ask me all questions so matter how simple it might seem. Here is the rest of the story:

I torqued the rocker arm bolts to 25 foot pounds when each cylinder was at TDC on the compression stroke. I set lifter preload at about .070 and i used a dail indicator to find zero lash and measure preload. I've checked the wire harness 3 times and all seems to be good, i even hand checked every injector plug and the coil plugs as well as unplugging and replugging in the MAF. I checked all the MSD wires and found 2 wire that have high resistance but the truck ran fine with them before all this, but i ordered a new set anyway and it will be here tomorrow. I put all new plags in, tr-55 v-groove and made sure they are all at .055 gap. i also unplugged all the MSD wires again and made sure i felt the snap as i plugged them back in. and i also sprayed carb cleaner along the intake ports with the truck running to see if i could see a leak or hear the idle rev up and nothing.

But

I did check compression right before and right after this change(glad i did), here are the numbers before the head gasket change and bare in mind i checked each cylinder 2 or 3 times: stock MLS gasket, 69cc heads

1=180psi

2=185

3=205

4=215

5=180

6=215

7=175

8=175

here are the numbers after the .041 head gasket. I did this right after the lifter install so there is almost no way the lifters where pumped up with oil if that would make a difference:

1=205

2=230

3=225

4=225

5=240

6=235

7=240

8=225

I thought maybe the MAF was not working so i used my scan gauges and verified i was getting an IAT reading and at a very bad rough idle i was getting 3.5 lb/m. I pulled a plug and my new plugs are dead black which goes along with the very the strong fuel smell in the exhaust.

any idea's of anything else i can check before zippy gets here would be great. It may be a tunning problem but with only a .010 thinner head gasket i can't see it making this much difference. And i don't want to waste Zippy's time with a mistake i made.

i did put the ls2 lifter guides in and it seems they could only go in one way so i don't think i did that wrong and they slid down the lifter holes smooth with no binding and the screw hole lined up.

I marked the coils DS for driver side when i took them off not knowing if they are the same from side to side, but with my hand writing a D could be mistaken for a P so are the coils the same from side to side. If i put the driver side coils on the passenger side would it reverse firing order?

I checked for binding when i installed the rockers but with the lifters bled down i was missing around .060 of lift so i could not see full lift. The new comp cams push rods came with rounded ends but not the full round ball that the stock ones have. Does this throw a flag to anyone?

We pulled the pcv from the valve cover when the truck was running and didn't seem to change anything and we could hear/feel the vacuum from it. Should i hook a vacuum gauge to it and test how much vacuum, would it even tell me anything?

Thanks for any help and sorry for all the questions in one post but I really don't know where to look here.

since it is running and the lifters are up to pressure I would double check the push rods for correct length. and double check the rockers and maybe use the stocker's to see if you get anything different??? Sound like a PITA pulling off parts but I have heard about the following isues with people building up their trucks:(these all cam from members here)

1. incorrect/defective lifters messing up the valves opening and such-Rhoads lifters?

2. too short push rods-he used the stock ones?

3. rockers that are not doing what they are surposed to.sent them back to get fixed.

I know what you mean about covering your ass b4 the brains gets there:)

good luck

all are welcome at my dads house. Its just a 1200 sqaure foot ranch in the middle of farm fields with a 60x40 pole building. I'm pretty sure i have the push rod length right but it doesn't take long to pull a valve cover off if you would like to see how i preloaded it.

and i've been bragging to my dad about your motor set up to. he likes the old school motors

Edited by shadowsniper3006 (see edit history)

Lindsey is in a very funny mood. :jester::banghead::jester:

Anyway, when I get up there we'll try to get right on it. I'm guessing what ever it is we should be able to have it fixed within a few hours. Those are some very impressive compression numbers. They kind of make me scratch my head thinking...

Ray, sounds good. We can meet up and you can ride with or follow.

Well gee, I've been asking Zippy for that for years. But don't you think we should meet first? :dunno:

Lindsey is in a very funny mood. :jester::banghead::jester:

Anyway, when I get up there we'll try to get right on it. I'm guessing what ever it is we should be able to have it fixed within a few hours. Those are some very impressive compression numbers. They kind of make me scratch my head thinking...

Ray, sounds good. We can meet up and you can ride with or follow.

boy the last thing i wanted was to stump you with a problem....

The correct way to check compression is to use the compression gauge and have the needle hit 3 times right? But at any rate i've checked the motor that way everytime so even if the numbers are wrong the increase is right. I wonder if they sent me the .030 head gasket not the .040.

oh well, zippy i will have my freinds 04 silverado here for you to tune as well and the cash you have listed on your web site for 1st time tunes from him.

the guys worked on the truck last night..didn't get home till 3 am but she's running great. Ended up being a little tunning and a lot of bad MAP sensor. Off to the track to see if i can finally hit the 12's!

THANKS A LOT GUYS!

Brad

well.......on to the next problem.

Zippy, Ray and I drove the truck for around 15 minutes while zippy logged it and it drove great and very strong. Flashed at 4300 on a an off idle launch!

But on my way to track, 5 minutes from my house the negitive battery cable started on fire....We fixed it and it did it agian as soon as the motor cranked, not key on just cranking....