Belltech Leafs Or Shackles And Hangers

W2W402

Before some of you keyboard pirites :jester: tell me to "search" trust me I have. I have looked at topics that were over 2 years old trying to help me decide.

As is stands now I have belltech Spindles with shackles in ther rear to give me a 2/2. I want to go lower. I am going to buy keys for the front and want either leafs or hangers for the rear. I also plan on running Street Performance shocks at all four corners.

My question for the guys who are running either set up is, what is your general consensus about which route to go.

Questions like will my Garlord Tonneau, that weighs a ton, is that enough to mess with the compression of the leafs? Is shackles and hangers really the correct way of lowering a vehicle or is leafs better engineered and better for the ride quality. I hear the leafs run firm, will the ride quality be better if I drill the bumbstops and add the new shocks.

All in all which is the better set up, and why do you think that?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NTMD8R SS and i always respond to the lowering ones. he is reading this right now actually. haha i went with spindles and leafs from belltech for a total of a 3/4 drop. front alignment is off, after getting one done. rides fine in the front other than that. i have the leaf packs in the back, and yes it rides like hell. i ordered hangers and shackles from mcguaghys to replace the leafs cuz i cant take it anymore. ill let you know my consensus after i switch the rear suspension out. i think its gonna be a 50/50. i think i will just bottom out now instead of the consistent hard ride.

If i where you just get the hangers since you already have shackles. If you plan to tow/haul i highly suggest helper bags, since whit nothing in the bed i only have about 1/2" between the axle and cut/repositioned bumpstops, but i dont have a tonneau cover.

Thanks for the reply...I knew you guys would come through since 99% of the search posts I read, had you answering most of the questions :D.

I can't believe the leafs ride that bad. Damn. I knew they rode firm but even with the new shocks and drilled out bumpstops you think it would still be the same conditions?

As far as the hangers are concerned belltech (stylingtrucks) is saying that the hangers won't work on my SS which I know is BS, so I at least need a part # to give these fools for the hangers.

I never tow or haul with my SS...it's a garage queen. I'm just looking for a new stance that will be best suited for my truck.

I have the leafs and they are fine for me n my passengers. Takes a little getting used to but nothing too bad. Just take care of the bumpstops and you'll be fine.

Also, replacing leafs is a whole lot easier than doing shackles and hangers imo

If you do decide to do the hangers, be prepared to hate rivets when your finally done. If you have a cutting torch it will make this process a lot easier. Pounding them out with air tools (or worse a hammer and punch) is a huge PITA.

I have the hanger and shackle kit installed in my Sierra C3 with the Belltech Street performance shocks. I also have a tonneau cover. With these shocks and only a 3 inch drop in the rear (1 inch block installed on leafs) I do bottom out ocassionally if I hit a large bump in the road. With a 4 inch drop and tonneau I would think you would be bottoming out a lot more often.

If you do decide to do the hangers, be prepared to hate rivets when your finally done. If you have a cutting torch it will make this process a lot easier. Pounding them out with air tools (or worse a hammer and punch) is a huge PITA.

I have the hanger and shackle kit installed in my Sierra C3 with the Belltech Street performance shocks. I also have a tonneau cover. With these shocks and only a 3 inch drop in the rear (1 inch block installed on leafs) I do bottom out ocassionally if I hit a large bump in the road. With a 4 inch drop and tonneau I would think you would be bottoming out a lot more often.

The rivets is why i stated the leafs would be an easier install.

hey brian, did you relocate your bumpstops directly to the frame and or cut them? sounds to me like thats your problem

The rivets is why i stated the leafs would be an easier install.

hey brian, did you relocate your bumpstops directly to the frame and or cut them? sounds to me like thats your problem

I did both cut and relocate the bump stops. As it is I probably have about 2.5 to 3 inches of travel with nothing in the bed, never mind tools or anything in the back, that just makes it worse.

Do you guys dropped 4 inches in the back not have issues bottoming out?

I did both cut and relocate the bump stops. As it is I probably have about 2.5 to 3 inches of travel with nothing in the bed, never mind tools or anything in the back, that just makes it worse.

Do you guys dropped 4 inches in the back not have issues bottoming out?

my leafs dropped me about 4 inches and i don't bottom out. It may ride kinda stiff but definitely doesnt bottom out.

Just a thought, are your rear shocks blown? When my front ones blew, it would bounce like crazy...

Edited by haul@ss (see edit history)

i have hangers and shackles and when i hit a bump it sounds like someone hitting the back of my frame with a sledge hammer.....i got rid of the bump stop bracket and cut 2 nubs off.....cant remember if i drilled the stops or not...but im at 2/3...not to mention my front end is F*CKED up. when im driving my steering wheel shakes like no other...i dont have ANY shims for the rear installed...but its gotta be in the front for the steering wheel to shake...

depending on how low you wanna go...if i remember right... leafs are better for 4" in the back... if you just wanna go 3" i'd go with shackles and hangers...

yeah i would say that the leafs would handle better, being stiffer. now im considering keeping my leafs after reading everyone bottoming out. i hate that, i know exactly what you mean cuz my other truck is lowered 6" in the read and with a c-notch it buttoms out alot. and its not fun at all. maybe the stiffer ride is better. but i sure dont bottom out, i dont think the leafs flex more than a quarter inch. i can bounce on the rear bumper and the truck goes no where at all! its stiff!