Another Trans Bites The Dust

Dan I'm saying that it is a lot of money for not a lot of transmission. I also know that dave went through a few of their transmissions in a matter of a few months. This is also not about choosing our transmission over someone else I dont care about that. I just want you to get get the best deal that you can and also have a damn good transmission.

Dave only went through 1 transmission from them, and the only reason it blew was because of a faulty TC. If I had my choice I would be going with a Level 5 FLT, but I simply cannot wait 4 weeks to get my truck back on the road.........

Alot of guys on LS1tech and PT.net are running these trannies, hard I might add. Most of what I have heard about PerformaBuilt has been positive........

Again, now I don't know what to do. :sigh:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dave only went through 1 transmission from them, and the only reason it blew was because of a faulty TC. If I had my choice I would be going with a Level 5 FLT, but I simply cannot wait 4 weeks to get my truck back on the road.........

Alot of guys on LS1tech and PT.net are running these trannies, hard I might add. Most of what I have heard about PerformaBuilt has been positive........

Again, now I don't know what to do. :sigh:

well do what you think is best for your time frame and pocket book. I was told by dave that he went through more than one.

I don't think he's picking them for price reasons.

:lol: i dont think price was even a issue dan i know its frustrating not having your truck running right but i know for that quoted price you can get a heavier built tranny like mine. Im not trying to sell you dans tranny. Like him i just want you to get the best bang for your buck.

Edited by MIDNIGHTRIDR (see edit history)

i havent been around much lately, life has me busy...

anyways... i blew my stock transmission - broke the output shaft...

Ordered the 4l65 built unit from performabuilt... they sold it to me with a 3000 stall which was WAAAY too loose (not their fault, i asked for this size stall) so they sent me FREE of charge a new stall... and THEY paid for the new one to go back. (I paid for the R&R)

i put about 3000 miles on it and then went and had the truck dyno tuned when i add the long tubes... 3 days after the tune, BOOM... tranny blew. They immediately sent me another transmission within a couple of days... FREE of charge and no shipping... and let me keep a spare TC to help offset the R&R charges...

when the new one was installed... it lasted less than 300 miles... it blew when i was driving IN TRAFFIC in the RAIN... going down hill, so there wasnt any load on the tranny... i then suspected a faulty tune, and bingo... i had my tune looked at by a couple of different tuners and sure enough my tune was all fubared... nonetheless Frank knew i was fustrated and wanted to help, he also knew i was building a new powerplant and he said we should throw an 80e at it... i paid for the performance upgrades from CK performance, but they swapped out my 65e for a fully built 80e with a new TC, shipped it to me at no cost....

the above is purely a statement of the facts, and there isnt any personal judgment or advice either way, take it how you see it. I cant say if any other transmission shop would have gone out of their way like performabuilt as i have not dealt with anyone else. I know a lot of people like Dannys transmissions, FLT, and others.... all have great reputations.

at the end of the day, the choice is up to you... i have only stated my story for the record. But for customer service PB has more than exceeded my customer service expectations :thumbs:

Ordered the 4l65 built unit from performabuilt... they sold it to me with a 3000 stall which was WAAAY too loose (not their fault, i asked for this size stall) so they sent me FREE of charge a new stall... and THEY paid for the new one to go back. (I paid for the R&R)

i put about 3000 miles on it and then went and had the truck dyno tuned when i add the long tubes... 3 days after the tune, BOOM... tranny blew. They immediately sent me another transmission within a couple of days... FREE of charge and no shipping... and let me keep a spare TC to help offset the R&R charges...

when the new one was installed... it lasted less than 300 miles... it blew when i was driving IN TRAFFIC in the RAIN... going down hill, so there wasnt any load on the tranny... i then suspected a faulty tune, and bingo... i had my tune looked at by a couple of different tuners and sure enough my tune was all fubared... nonetheless Frank knew i was fustrated and wanted to help, he also knew i was building a new powerplant and he said we should throw an 80e at it... i paid for the performance upgrades from CK performance, but they swapped out my 65e for a fully built 80e with a new TC, shipped it to me at no cost....

the above is purely a statement of the facts, and there isnt any personal judgment or advice either way, take it how you see it. I cant say if any other transmission shop would have gone out of their way like performabuilt as i have not dealt with anyone else. I know a lot of people like Dannys transmissions, FLT, and others.... all have great reputations.

at the end of the day, the choice is up to you... i have only stated my story for the record. But for customer service PB has more than exceeded my customer service expectations :thumbs:

then if it was the tune I want to know exactly what caused it????? your tuner should know.. Unless they had the pressures through the roof I doubt tuning was solely the issue here.

i think reputation has alot to do with them replacing it for free they probably knew your a high roller guy in the truck scene. If you gave a bad report then their business would suffer. plus your 10' tall and a big scary olger. They were probably scared shitless to not replace it :lol: jk

Edited by MIDNIGHTRIDR (see edit history)

I think there is alot of going out of the way to knock down a product in order to sell someone another here. There is no trans sponsor on this site and I'm not sure I'd let them bash another product just simply to try and sell theirs. Unless you actually have something technical to say and something to back it up, keep the sales pitch's to a minimum.

As for Dave, good story and info for his question. I hope I wasn't the reason your tune was so f'd up, I don't have many issue's at all with how the trans settings are calibrated...???

I think there is alot of going out of the way to knock down a product in order to sell someone another here. There is no trans sponsor on this site and I'm not sure I'd let them bash another product just simply to try and sell theirs. Unless you actually have something technical to say and something to back it up, keep the sales pitch's to a minimum.

As for Dave, good story and info for his question. I hope I wasn't the reason your tune was so f'd up, I don't have many issue's at all with how the trans settings are calibrated...???

Zippy I have never tried to bad mouth a product to get business. I simply stating that the price is high for the amount that goes into the build. I have talked to Frank at performabuilt before Im not gonna say my feeling on them as a builder. I will say that their are several people out there that have great units, but in todays world price is a deciding factor for most folks. I want you to show me where I bad mouthed someone to gain business I even told Dan I dont care where he buys his trans I just want him to have a good reliable product that he is not gonna get raped on the $$$.

fine, what ever, im not stiring up trouble i consider dan my friend and friends let friends know when they are making a poor decision, Thats all i did. Im not selling dannys tranny at all i even stated that. as a matter a fact get a flt for all i care. BUT 2300 $ IS EFFIN RETARDED FOR A LEVEL 3 TRANNY im done with this thread

ENOUGH!

Opinions are opinions, I followed my instinct, I made my decision, enough of this :icon_bs: . I did a ton of research before making my final choice, I can't tell you the headache I have had over the last week, and this thread is just compounding it. I have starting working myself slowly into credit card debt over the last month, and I don't need grief over my choices. What is done is done, if I was wrong and it blows up again, then you all can say I told you so. I always follow instinct, and that is has what kept me alive for the last 6-1/2 years in a job I don't get payed for. For the record, what one company calls their level 3 trans may not be the same as another.

Thank you all for you input and wisdom.........

Zippy please close this thread, i'm done here. :locked02:

:rant: