Pinion Nut Torque?

Man it has been a while since I have been here, anyhow in doing my brake I noticed my pinion seal was nicely giving the pig an undercoating so with that, my backing plate shields are rotten and I have to replace them and I will do the p. seal at the same time.

Does anyone remember what the pinion nut torque is.

Thanks,

Edited by David S (see edit history)

Thats incorrect. Its more like 25 inch pounds of pinion drag(bearing pre-load). The only way to replace the crush sleeve and set up pre-load properly is to remove the pinion gear. By doing this you must remove the carrier. At this point you might as well replace all the bearings.

It is possible to just replace the seal though. Mark the position of the pinion relative to the nut. Remove the nut and remove the yolk then replace the seal and reinstall the yolk. Tighten up the nut until or slightly after the marks line up. By doing this you wont disturb the set preload. This is assuming the pinion bearings are still ok. You should also check the diff vent for blockage.

Edited by SS TRCK (see edit history)

Yes 27ft lbs I thought high I had a shop look it up on there ALL-DATA system and then double check it with their Mitchell system and both of those stated 27ft. lbs not inch lbs. Ya I did not check it with a dial guage yesterday but the backlash seems to be excessive. I have a really nice pattern and I really did not want to disturb that.

rgds,