Turbo Questions

nicolaswaldron

do that- get the kit you want, plus a fuel pump and maybe some injectors. Then install it when you have time and then take it to get tuned. Thats what Im gonna do eventually but I need money first, and another car to drive while the truck is down. I hate STS kits though... Im probly gonna get a Trick Turbo top mount kit or one from this guy on PT.net

what is pt.net. Also, i have a friend that got a hook up from a business owner near me and when i shot him an email, he told me that it would be easier, and cheaper to do a top mount kit and they would install it and tune it or i could install it and they would tune it. Either way, i think the sts kit to too expensive for what i want to do and i think im gonna settle with a top mount turbo. Any opinions on the switch? What size fuel pump and injectors do i need, any idea?Thanks again everyone.

Edited by justone33 (see edit history)

Just front mount no oil pumps to die.

You have to have an electric oil pump with the sts and if the pump dies your turbo runs dry and well ya know. With a trick performance front mount turbo your factory oil pump feeds the turbo. Thats what I have and I love it. Also there is a guy I think on Pt.net KBracing that makes hot pipes at a good price. I would go with a complete kit from trick performance though. No extras to buy easy install. Instant power.

This truck has the same kit I have from trick performance with a nelson intercooler I think.

It is bad to the bone.

http://nelsonperformance.com/YellowTruck.htm

http://www.trickperformanceproducts.com/products_turbos.htm

You have to have an electric oil pump with the sts and if the pump dies your turbo runs dry and well ya know. With a trick performance front mount turbo your factory oil pump feeds the turbo. Thats what I have and I love it. Also there is a guy I think on Pt.net KBracing that makes hot pipes at a good price. I would go with a complete kit from trick performance though. No extras to buy easy install. Instant power.

This truck has the same kit I have from trick performance with a nelson intercooler I think.

It is bad to the bone.

http://nelsonperformance.com/YellowTruck.htm

http://www.trickperformanceproducts.com/products_turbos.htm

The STS oil pump DOES NOT feed the turbo, it is a scavenging pump... meaning it pulls the oil away from the turbo after the oil has passed trough the turbo under the pressure from the engines oil pump. I have not had and bad luck with it and the people who do are usually the ones that up the boost from the base of 5-8 psi to more than 10 psi with out upgrading to the next pump up.

Hey STS works for some people. I run a front mount kit. its a detroit speedwork turbos kit there are ups and downs to rear mount turbo kits and front mounts. in the forced induction part of this forum there is a poll that was posted about a boost topic read there. you can get alot of info from there. and there is also performancetrucks.net you can get alot of info there also. good luck with the build boost is fun but spendy also. $$$

This is what they guy from trick turbo said:"Nicolas, thank you for inquiring about our products. TrickPerformanceProducts builds the only front mount turbo kit with a 1 year warranty and all stainless steel construciton. For your 6.0L I would recommend the 76mm turbo, good for 650+hp to the ground with supporting mods and high boost levels.Want more power no problem, we just need to get a larger turbo in place. This kit would have a very large air/air intercooler, and all the piping hot and cold side. 38mm waste gate, and 50mm blow off valve. Our kits use all black silicone couplers, with stainless steel Tbolt clamps. All the cold pipes have beed rolls on the ends to keep piping together. No blowing off or seporating our cold side.Kit price with intercooler is 5400.00 and Trick will cover the freight."

The deal is that i still wanna only push 500-600 hp and be able to pull a car. Im still waiting on a response form the other guy. but if you have any ideers let me know. thanks yall.

• 2 weeks later...

i also contacted nelsonperformance.com like somone on here recommended and this is what i asked him:

I have a 6.0 awd silverado ss. I want a turbo kit installed and i first started poking around at a rear mounted turbo kit. Then with plenty of research, i realized i wanted a hi mount kit. So now i have a few questions. What does your turbo kit include parts wize? Also what is the total whp for that awd truck and what would the total hp be on the transfer case on that awd truck? I am worried about the hp and the stress that the transfer case will endure.Thank you for your time.

And this is what he emailed back:

Hi, thanks for contacting us!We offer the front mount kit and it’s complete as far as having the turbo kit function, however, you’ll need a fuel pump and larger injectors.The kit doesn’t come with an intercooler kit, but we do offer an intercooler kit. You can see some of the pics at nelsonperformance.comI can have Lisa send you a quote on the kit.The kit will add about 140hp to the wheels. I would suggest you upgrade the transmission with a Transgo shiftkit and servo, which we can provide as well.The transfer case will be strong enough.The transmission will break before the transfer case, I know that’s not good news, haha, but the transfer case is pretty strong.

How would yall who read this say to this and how acurate is this. And is the transfer case really that strong? Thanks again yall.