Planning On New Audio And Video Set Up

My next upgrade for my 2003 SS will be video and audio.

For video I am looking at an 7" in-dash receiver, one that replaces my stock cd-player. It has to have an auxiliary port to plug my Zune up to it, and I have to have a way to run a slim PS2 to it. Also I will need to figure a way of powering the Slim PS2 when the truck engine is off (I don't want my battery to die).

So that's: 7" dvd/cd player touch screen (navagation would be tight, but I know it would cost extra). Proper auxiliary port for my Zune 120. Be able to run a slim PS2 to it and play all day without killing my battery, so that means another power source.

For audio I plan on keeping my stock Bose system for now, I like it. I want at least two good 10"s or two 12"s under the back seat. That calls for a specific box aswell. I am thinking Kicker, AudioBahn, Rockfords, etc., good quality subs. I would also like to rig the subs to work with the video unit and PS2 (so if I am watching a scary movie or playing a game with bass, I can feel the bass, kind of like a theater).

That is: at least two 10" subs under the back seat, good quality, have the bass work for movies I watch and games I play.

Any recommendations for brands and models? Plus tell me a good place to stash away a Slim PS2 in the truck.

I would stay away from AudioBahn... If you want good sound quality, i would stick with something like JL or diamond audio. I personally went with diamond audio because they are cheaper in price as compared to JL and they are just as good, if not better in sound quality. The subs can and will play with the game and movies.

I have (2) diamond audio d3 12's powered by a diamond audio d3 1000.1 amp. hell, even their entry level d1 series subs are pretty good and affordable. Or the jl audio w1 series... but i'd take the d1 over the w1 anyday.

Also, I have a pioneer avic d3 which has a front aux input, navi, dvd/cd etch, and is touch screen. you could also buy a bluetooth adapter if needed.

I'm no audio/video expert so i can't really chime in for the other stuff but i would guess you'd want another battery like an optima or something.

mb quart component speakers and JL audio w7 subwoofer is a great setup. That would be my choice, I owned that setup but never had a car to put them in, and sold them. Now I have the SS and shake my head...I want to keep my truck stock though, keep it original.

I am thinking I want diamond audio D3 amp and two sub set-up. The only problem is that the nearest dealer (according to their website) is 40 miles away... Their website said not to purchase online, so given this problem I might have to settle with JL or Kicker or budget Fosgates (Tell me more about Memphis Audio). Where can I get a custom box to fit under my back seat and hold two 12"s?

"mb quart component speakers" - what does this mean?

That Pioneer AVIC D3 is pretty pricey, I guess it's because it includes navigation. Does anyone know a cheaper one that is sub-$500 that will suffice until I find a flip-down 15" or 17" screen for the PS2 Slim?

I am thinking I want diamond audio D3 amp and two sub set-up. The only problem is that the nearest dealer (according to their website) is 40 miles away... Their website said not to purchase online, so given this problem I might have to settle with JL or Kicker or budget Fosgates (Tell me more about Memphis Audio). Where can I get a custom box to fit under my back seat and hold two 12"s?

"mb quart component speakers" - what does this mean?

That Pioneer AVIC D3 is pretty pricey, I guess it's because it includes navigation. Does anyone know a cheaper one that is sub-$500 that will suffice until I find a flip-down 15" or 17" screen for the PS2 Slim?

It is best to have the box built to match the subs. Memphis Audio is a great brand, but pricey. Of course you get what you pay for.

Component speakers just mean you have a separate tweeter and midrange with some sort of crossover. Much better then a coaxial setup that is one piece.

If you are looking for a good unit in your price range look at the Kenwood DDX512 or the DDX5120 with Nav. The Nav unit will be a little more. These have the features you are looking for.

Well the best box you can go with is a custom built box not a pre-fabbed box get a box built to your specs here in my area they range from about $350-????? all depends on how crazy you wanna get with them. Ive heard great things about the new thin subs that Pioneer has out...

i am a kicker/rockford fan when it comes to subs/amps. i am currently running two L5 solobarics in a subthumpultra deep, downfire box, being pushed with a rockford P1000bd... the box (perfect specs for the subs requirements) was almost 200 shipped, the subs were 280 shipped per pair (dual 4/10's), and the amp was 260 shipped. i too loved the sound of the bose system so everything is running straight off the factory bose sytem thanks to a pac aoem-gm24 (45 shipped), the same company also sells converters for ipod/zune hook ups. i am a ebay junky when it comes to car audio and would have payed almost double at local shops. took all the extra money that i would have payed if i bought it elsewhere to get a nice wire kit (90 for a 4g kit w 2.4 farad cap) and some fat mat sound dampaner (80 for 100sq ft) and about a dozen extra 150A anl fuses (25 bucks and still have yet to blow any of them).... with a weekend of work, while on mid tour leave, i was able to do the installs and get the sound deadener laid (doubled up on layers)....

good luck with whatever you get, just take your time..... think about paying yourself to jack stuff up before you pay someone else to jack it up for you when it comes to installing stuff.... all the panels in your truck are fairly easy to remove to make for easy install. the only problem i had was finding a place for my power cable to run being that i didnt want to drill a hole in my firewall.

Edited by dAt_nEw_gUy (see edit history)