Im Going On My First Cruise In Dec...

Turbocoop

Ive never been on a cruise before but I know the drinks are gonna be really expensive. Has anyone been on a Carnival cruise recently? I just wanna know if its worth it to try to sneak any liquor on board. Ive got the perfect way- I just dont know if they tear your bags apart to search or what??? A friend of mine from high school invented these things - disposable flasks and I was thinking of getting about 15 or 20 and sneaking them on all scattered out in all of our bags, theres like 6 of us going.

If you get caught will they not let you on or just make you throw it out? Its no big deal I wont even do it if its a bad idea. The ship is leaving from Tampa on Dec. 15th and going to the Cayman Islands and Cozumel. Does anyone know how cold it will be then? Im hoping like low 70s at the least during the day??? Heres the ship and stuff- its not that expensive- LINK

Is there any tips you can give me from people who have been on a few cruises? Anything I should avoid like ripoffs or secret gay bars on the ship???

no no no, go to the duty free shop on the cruise line..... they got the cheapest liquor at the duty free shops.... the difference in price at the duty free shops are enough for them to set a limit on how many bottles you can take off the ship :)

btw, this was on a royal carribean cruise line, but i'm 95% sure that there is a duty free shop on every cruise!

Customs checks all bags through a scanner like the airport. You have a 50/50 chance of getting through. It's really up to the customs agent if she lets it slide. There looking for guns and bombs. When you get there your bags will be put on a cart by a Longshoremen then toted away to a staging area....away from you. Then they are seperated by deck level depending on where you state room is. It will then go onto a conveyer belt and ran through x-ray. Id go with hard liquor if you gonna chance it. One big bottle of Jack! They will remove it from your bag and trash it if they catch it. Goodluck!!

Edited by nxtnlne (see edit history)

no no no, go to the duty free shop on the cruise line..... they got the cheapest liquor at the duty free shops.... the difference in price at the duty free shops are enough for them to set a limit on how many bottles you can take off the ship :)

btw, this was on a royal carribean cruise line, but i'm 95% sure that there is a duty free shop on every cruise!

When I went on Celebrity cruise lines a few years back you could buy bottles on the ship in the duty free store, but you were not allowed to consume them on the ship. They held the bottles for you until the day you departed the ship at the end of the cruise. I don't know if all cruise lines are like that, but it makes sense....they want you to buy/drink their booze for 3x as much $$$...

Edited by KissMySilvSS (see edit history)

dont even try it they x ray all your bags. what you should do is take a back pack with you when you get off the ship the first day. that way you can buy a bottle or two. they probably wont check your back pack just your id when getting back on the ship. try getting back on when it is really busy with other people getting back on that way they will most likely hurry people through to get them on board.

You should have a blast. My whole family (23 of us) went on that exact ship a few years ago. Only difference is that we stopped in New Orleans for a day. There are no gay bars on the ship that I'm aware of. There is a deck for clothing optional sunbathing though. :eek: Very, very nice ship. When you get to Grand Cayman take the tour that has you swimming with Stingrays and go to the Mayan ruins outside Cozumel. Both are worth the money in my opinion.

As far as alcohol goes. I can't help you since I don't drink. All the soda you want for free though. My brother-in-law was able to get some Cuban cigars and bring them on the ship. Just had to smoke them before we returned. U.S. Customs WILL go through everything. Don't even try to bring back any contraband. They have NO sense of humor at customs.

We went in February. The temps were in the 80's+ except for New Orleans. Around 50 degrees there.

Have a good time. :cheers:

Cool, thats about all the info I was looking for. I forgot about those duty free shops on the ship- I doubt they will let you buy it and drink it on the ship if its that cheap though... Ill have to figure something out, maybe I can buy the liquor in mexico and fill up my little flasks and then sneak them back on the ship. Plus if I can get free sodas Ill be drinking the cheapest jack and coke ever- that sucks though cause I get heartburn after like 8. Thanks for the help

They have NO sense of humor at customs.

:withstupid: Absolutely TRUE! Do not even joke with them. I've seen people make a smart remark about something, and they get pulled aside. Keep your mouth shut, let them check your stuff, and move on.

When I went on Celebrity cruise lines a few years back you could buy bottles on the ship in the duty free store, but you were not allowed to consume them on the ship. They held the bottles for you until the day you departed the ship at the end of the cruise. I don't know if all cruise lines are like that, but it makes sense....they want you to buy/drink their booze for 3x as much $$$...

he may be right.... the last cruise i went on was two+ years ago, and that whole "not allowed to consume them on the ship", sounds familiar...

hope you like clear liquor, i use mouth wash bottles with clear liquor + food coloring.... make sure if you use this method to wash and dry the bottles out good... some absolute vodka + food coloring to color match the old contents.. now that is one method i can vouche for!

I worked for Holland America for seven years; which is owned by Carnival. I thought that the carinval ships allowed you to bring liqour on board. I know that the holland ships didn't allow liqour; I did move a lot of bags that were soaked with it though :eek: . I took a eastern caribbean cruise the liquor was cheaper on board in the duty free shops; and much cheaper on the islands. Have fun!