Scrambled My PCM

deezel

I have been programming my truck with LS1Edit for about 4-5 months now. I always use the bench harness, because the "in-truck" tuning is still not fully functional. I have not had any problems flashing the PCM until now... I have flashed 75 times successfully.

So, yesterday morning I went to flash tune #76 into the PCM and it locked up during programming. For those with Edit, I got about 80% through the "PROGRAMMING PCM FLASH MEMORY" and then the "Status" window went blank. I let it retry for longer than the suggested 2 minutes and did all the other suggested recovery steps - no luck, PCM is toast. Edit can't read the VIN, neither can EFILive. :cry::fume::eek:

Damn! And I thought the bench harness would protect me from stuff like this.

Luckily, I was able to find a local speed shop to re-flash my PCM with a stock tune. Twenty-First Century Muscle Cars fixed me up for $50 +tax. Thanks BigTex for suggesting them. :thumbs::cool:

So now I am driving the SS again with a stock tune. (its been a while) That factory program is pretty conservative, for sure. I want to flash my tune back in there again, but I'm a little nervous about it now. :sigh::uhoh:

I guess I'm going to start doing a "safe mode" test before each flash...

Yeah, Andy's a nice guy. Nice shop over there at 21CMC.

I saw lots of nice autos out back. :D:D About 8 vette's in the main shop, several more outside. Saw a couple fitted with Magnacharger kits.

Update on PCM tuning:

I have successfully completed a new LS1Edit read of the PCM. :thumbs:

It took 1 hour and 20 minutes again. :shakehead:

I compared it to the original stock tune and it was exactly the same (segment ID's, etc.). :thumbs:

I just finished making a new flash based on the new PCM read.

I might give it a try tonight, Jason. :rolleyes:

Yeah, Andy's a nice guy. Nice shop over there at 21CMC.

I saw lots of nice autos out back. :D:D About 8 vette's in the main shop, several more outside. Saw a couple fitted with Magnacharger kits.

Update on PCM tuning:

I have successfully completed a new LS1Edit read of the PCM. :thumbs:

It took 1 hour and 20 minutes again. :shakehead:

I compared it to the original stock tune and it was exactly the same (segment ID's, etc.). :thumbs:

I just finished making a new flash based on the new PCM read.

I might give it a try tonight, Jason. :rolleyes:

Best of luck to ya. Watch out for that 75 tune limit :P

Flash limit... I read on ls1edit.com that one guy has flashed his PCM over 500 times, several guys over 100 flashes. So I'm not so worried about that now.

I put tune #77 into the PCM this morning. So far so good... :rolleyes::smash:

Flash limit... I read on ls1edit.com that one guy has flashed his PCM over 500 times, several guys over 100 flashes. So I'm not so worried about that now.

I put tune #77 into the PCM this morning. So far so good... :rolleyes::smash:

:crazy: You need a quick disconnect on that harness :crazy:

Archived