Meth?

hi yall, when yall use meth, how does it that work. Can some one explain how they ran meth, where they ran it and how it works and what it does. I hear people saying they use it but i have no idea on how meth works. Also how comparable is this to nos and what is better meth or nos.

Most smoke it..It makes you feel real figgity..IMO Just say no...lol

I run a snow performance meth kit...basically mine runs thru the intake and is boost controlled...Mine is set at 5#'s and then it starts spraying..it helps keep the intake temps down and can run a little more timing with it...Most Blower/turbo guys seem to run it. Wich by the way most run just windshield washer fluid.

meth and NOS are not comparable..NOS is a power adder like a blower or turbo....meth just helps those run a little better ..you may get some gain out of it but nothing like NOS

Edited by brobradh77 (see edit history)

*moving topic*

"Running Meth" is just a term for spraying a mixture of Methanol into the intake. As Brad stated, it does a few desireable things, mostly for boost aka "force fed" motors. 1. Adds a ton of Octane, 2 Adds fuel on top of the injectors, 3. Cools the intake charge down for a more dense charge and less detonation. Again, Brad hit the nail on the head, it doesn't compare to N2O as methanol is not a "power adder".

Benifits:

1. compensates for maxed out injectors

2. allows for more timing advance as the resulting octane rating is MUCH higher, also in combination with the lower intake charge.

3. you can in theory run lower octane fuel as when you go into boost the methanol compensates for the lack of octane in the fuel. NOT RECOMMENDED. It can act as a safeguard if you get a bad tank of gas.

Risks:

1. If you are tuned for the meth and for some reason the meth doesn't spray (pump failure, clogged nozel, ran out of meth...), you will run lean and potentially have the risk of detonation. Not good in a boost application :uhoh:

:chevy:

so people make meth, smoke meth, and race meth. Glad we covered that. lol

so you can boost fine without it at say 5 to 8 psi on a front mount turbo and just run higher octane gas?

yes as long as there is an intercooler helping iat.s

Wich by the way most run just windshield washer fluid.

the washer fluid concentrate though and not the diluted crap right? heard of people using "heet", which can be picked up for a few bucks per bottle...

I know yall say it isnt a power adder like nos, but if you were, to say, add meth to a setup with an intercooler only pushin around 7 psi, how big of gains would you be lookin at?

• 2 weeks later...
the washer fluid concentrate though and not the diluted crap right? heard of people using "heet", which can be picked up for a few bucks per bottle...

I know yall say it isnt a power adder like nos, but if you were, to say, add meth to a setup with an intercooler only pushin around 7 psi, how big of gains would you be lookin at?

Heet is like 99% methanol so if you mix it 50/50 with distilled water you would be just fine. The thing to watch for in washer fluid is glycol and solvents which are not good to put into your motor. Plus washer fluid only contains on average 25 to 30% methanol. The more methanol in the mixture the more resistant you are to detination. But it's usually not a good idea to go over 50% because the less water in the mixture the less heat gets wicked out of the intake air charge. 50/50 is the best of both worlds good heat absorption and resistance to detination. The way it works is it's injected into the intake stream, the water evaporates from the heat of intake air and in return cools the air leaving the meth behind so it can be sucked into the cylinders and burned acting like a high octane fuel. Depending on application you can see some gains of 50+ hp with a good tune for the meth. You won't see 50 hp if you just slap on a meth kit. The engine should really be tuned around the meth otherwise your air fuel ratio is too rich which will hurt performance. And because the intake temps drop and your adding a high octane fuel you can add a few more degrees of timing which in return gives you more power.