Speed Density With A Radix

JSTAL

ok my tune is getting closer but i wanna squeeze the best out of my setup and still be fast. I know a guy here local who builds some sweet FI trucks. he thinks SD is the answer can any one tell me why i shouldnt go sd. yester day i ran a 13.4 at the track on street tires with a 106 trap speed and a 2.5 60' those numbers tell me the truck is a 12 second truck. i want a little better time though

If you go to a SD tune it'll pretty much have to be a 2 bar to make it worth it. It'll cost you about $100 for the custom O.S. and is well worth it for driveability. The tuning will take a bit of work, but is also well worth it. I'd recomend going to a vacuum moduator kit on the trans if you do this though.

If you go to a SD tune it'll pretty much have to be a 2 bar to make it worth it. It'll cost you about $100 for the custom O.S. and is well worth it for driveability. The tuning will take a bit of work, but is also well worth it. I'd recomend going to a vacuum moduator kit on the trans if you do this though.

im glad you responded because im also thinkin just have you tune it with hp tuners what is the vacum modulater for i thought that was only for the 4L80e

• 3 weeks later...
ok my tune is getting closer but i wanna squeeze the best out of my setup and still be fast. I know a guy here local who builds some sweet FI trucks. he thinks SD is the answer can any one tell me why i shouldnt go sd. yester day i ran a 13.4 at the track on street tires with a 106 trap speed and a 2.5 60' those numbers tell me the truck is a 12 second truck. i want a little better time though

yester day i ran a 13.4 at the track on street tires with a 106 trap speed and a 2.5 60' those numbers tell me the truck is a 12 second truck. i want a little better time though

yeah you should be well in the 12s,get your self a good set of drag radials and get that 60 down

My Opinion take it for whatever it is worth...

I kept my MAF and did not go SD for the simple fact that my truck was driven daily and I did not want to fuss with it. After a while, my truck soon became a weekend warrior and that is when I almost went with a 2 bar SD OS. I regularly pegged my Ve table as I am sure you do too, which bothered me when I would go part throttle under load (going up a steep hill with my converter locked in OD) and see my Map value at 103kpa. I knew that the airflow was wrong and hence the fueling was wrong in those situations. I used the progressively controlled meth injection system as a band-aid to add some fuel even though my fuel trims didn't like it too much. Now, having a Ve table that goes to 210kpa (such as with a 2 bar Map OS) effectively eliminates this...+1 for the 2 bar SD.

A big disadvantage in using the MAF on a boosted application that peggs it out resides in the Pe table (for WOT). The Pe table is RPM dependant which means you have the same commanded AFR regardless of the boost level which really isn't a good way to operate for FI. You can have the stock pulley of 5.5 pounds of boost or a 2.75 pulley at 10 pounds, it is still going to command the same even though you have tons more air. That is why it is critical to dial in the Pe with a wideband if you max the MAF. When the MAF is maxed, the airflow value just stops increasing and becomes constant. I dialed in my set-up on the dyno with a wideband so I had a confort level when I maxed my MAF. As a cushion, I used my IAT adder table to add fuel as the IAT's increased (aka increased boost). It took a while to scale it just right since IAT's changed from winter to summer. Anyway, being that the Radix pretty much hits max boost early and maintains that boost through High RPMs is the beauty of it all. I didn't really have to worry about the risk of additional un-metered boost after I set my Pe to deliver a 11.9 across the board. If I had a turbo, I would be concerned that I could "accidently" add boost and in theory go lean. By getting a 2 Bar SD tune, it gives a boost enrichment table to correct for this....+1 for a 2 bar SD.

Now, I have no direct experience with this however a SD set-up is apparantly very difficult to get through an OBD-II emissions inspection. Maybe someone who has a SD tune and requires the OBD-II inspection can chime in on this. :uhoh:

You will need to spend a ton of time dialing in your new Ve table to make it right, but once right, you should have better throttle response and more control over fueling. I personally live in an area where weather conditions and elevations change dramatically. Technically, I will need to be diligent on the SD tuning if I should choose this route because of it.