Our Sss 03-07

F1SSS

I have been thinking recently of how our 2003-2007 SS trucks can be properly called (besides the obvious SS truck). Is it considered 2nd generation because of the 454 SS being the original SS truck (I am not sure if they made a SS truck before the 454)? I know the platforms are different from the 454 and our 03-07s, so is using the platform number the proper way to identify our truck instead of saying 2nd generation or our model year SS? This might be a tedious question, I am just trying to figure out if we can say we are the 2nd generation SS truck (I am excluding the S10s). Thank you in advance, I am just real curious about this.

good example- bmw e30 m3 is a 1988-1991 1st gen, e36 m3 is 92-99 (North American models were only 95-99) 2nd gen, e46 m3 is 2000-2006 3rd gen, and the new 420hp v10 e90/92/93 is 2008- to the present (90 sedan, 92 coupe , 93 convertible) 4th gen.

I am starting to think this 1st gen, 2nd gen stuff is for foreign cars.....

Edited by 03maSSS (see edit history)

Well, Camaro's are broken down into generations, 1st 67 - 69, 2nd 70 - 81, 3rd 82 - 92, 4th 93 - 02. Some experts even break Gen 4, into Gen 4 A 93 - 97, and Gen 4 B 98 - 02.

Don't know the years, but the Corvette is also broken down, from the C1 platform to the current C6.

However, this is done from the get-go, along the WHOLE model lineup, not just the trim level/package.

I would have to say no. Yes we may be the second generation chevrolet ss truck, but the 454 ss was not a Silverado. So our Silverado SS's are the first generation Silverado SS

That's correct. Previous to the 99' body style the full size trucks were just C and K. Silverado wasn't the name of the truck, it was mearly an option package.

I agree that it's not a 2nd gen. The pre-99's were Cheyannes or Silverados depending on the package option.

Chevrolet also made a sport truck version of the 454 SS. It was all the same stuff, but with either a 210 hp 350

or even a V6. It came with the 275's and had the SS wheels and suspension, buckets w/ console and no SS logos.

Ironically it was also offered in 4WD.

That's correct. Previous to the 99' body style the full size trucks were just C and K. Silverado wasn't the name of the truck, it was mearly an option package.

They still use the C and K though, at least they did until the NBS. Still says on the title of my truck K1500.

:withstupid:

The '90 vehicle is called a "454 SS", and the '03 vehicle is called a "Silverado SS"; IMO two entirely different products, the 454 SS is a plain-vanilla truck with 454, the Silverado SS OTOH is a luxury performance vehicle. The 454 in the first truck is a severely detuned smogged-out performance DOG with peanut port heads; the LQ9 is a performance-minded engine. The interior appointments in the first truck do not come close to the later truck.

With GM in its current financial crisis I'm betting it will be at least another decade before they even consider offering another high-profile performance luxury truck; they'll keep such products on the down-low, like maybe offer performance luxury trucks quietly via the Denali badge. But I doubt we will see another "Silverado SS" anytime soon, but if/when they do then ours will be Gen 1, that product will be Gen 2.

My 2-cents.

Mr. P. :)

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)

With GM in its current financial crisis I'm betting it will be at least another decade before they even consider offering another high-profile performance luxury truck; they'll keep such products on the down-low, like maybe offer performance luxury trucks quietly via the Denali badge. But I doubt we will see another "Silverado SS" anytime soon, but if/when they do then ours will be Gen 1, that product will be Gen 2.

My 2-cents.

Mr. P. :)

I read articles about the same thing, just a little different. Our ss' would be the last ss edition truck for gas power until a new power source was found and mainstreamed (electric, hybrid.....). Also said the denali would please its luxury customers (stated they would be offering the denali in 1500/2500/3500hd models for 2008, dont know if they did).

Thank you guys for the replies :chevy:

I read articles about the same thing, just a little different. Our ss' would be the last ss edition truck for gas power until a new power source was found and mainstreamed (electric, hybrid.....). Also said the denali would please its luxury customers (stated they would be offering the denali in 1500/2500/3500hd models for 2008, dont know if they did).

Thank you guys for the replies :chevy:

This is going to sound backasswards but I do believe every dark cloud has a silver lining (and thousands of people every year are hit by lightening trying to find it j/k lol) and the current global financial downturn is no exception. For us automotive enthusiasts I am thinking this will really improve the collectibility of these specialty vehicles in another 10+ years, because Detroit can't make anthing like these vehicles in the coming future. Today we reminisce about the late 60's "they don't make muscle cars like that nowadays" and I am sure the coming generation is going to say that about vehicles of the last 10-years. Already the big-ballin' Escalades with the 24's are being seeing as a throwback to a different time...

I do disagree about the viability of an electric truck, I think there will always be a need for a gas/diesel truck; you cannot escape the energy density of gasoline (yet).

Mr. P.

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)

+3 for the 2003-2007 Classic SSS's being called the 2nd generation. The 1990-93 454SS's were loaded out for back in their day. These trucks offer full power everything & high-end cloth buckets seats in a reg cab swb 4X2 with a limited slip rear diff. Furthermore, the 1990-93 SS's also had the special ext. color moldings & mono-paint scheme with limited int. & ext. colors too... :chevy: