Gonna Get Pcm Tune Done Locally, Any Advise?

Les Hall

I found a guy about an hour away from me with an HP tuner,,He seems to really know what he's doing,,My SS is stock other than CIA, & Magnaflow. Like everyone,,,I want to get as much out of her as I can , but don't want him to tune it so wild that I risking tearing something up,,,anything I need to make sure he does or doesn't do?

He really sounds like he knows his stuff,,,but I'm just asking on here because of all the tunning done here is mainly for our SS's and you guys may know something he has never ran across,,I just wanna be sure It's as close to right as possible when I leave,,If I run into problems later I gotta drive it an hour back to get it checked out.

Thanx!

I wouldn't let anyone touch my truck who wasn't verified as a tuner,anyone can buy hptuners and say they now what they are talking about! I've seen some horror stories fom guys who let so called "guys who know ther stuff" tune their trucks.Imo jus leave it to the pro's,they won't dissapoint.

Get a hold of zippy and he will takecare of you.

I wouldn't let anyone touch my truck who wasn't verified as a tuner,anyone can buy hptuners and say they now what they are talking about! I've seen some horror stories fom guys who let so called "guys who know ther stuff" tune their trucks.Imo jus leave it to the pro's,they won't dissapoint.

I was refered by another member who spoke highly of his work, he "says" he has done most of the GM trucks in his town, and does his own 06' GTO,,not that any of that proves he knows his stuff, but that on top of the way he kept stressing he had certain limits as too how much he would tune one, and wouldn't go past a point of being a safe tune,,,I would feel better about going with one of the guys from the site, but everyone including him tells me a live tune done based on what my accual engine is doing will get much better results,,he said something about a sensor thats put in the exhaust to see exactly how it's running? I hope I don't regret it,,something about him just makes me think he knows his stuff,,,,,

I was refered by another member who spoke highly of his work, he "says" he has done most of the GM trucks in his town, and does his own 06' GTO,,not that any of that proves he knows his stuff, but that on top of the way he kept stressing he had certain limits as too how much he would tune one, and wouldn't go past a point of being a safe tune,,,I would feel better about going with one of the guys from the site, but everyone including him tells me a live tune done based on what my accual engine is doing will get much better results,,he said something about a sensor thats put in the exhaust to see exactly how it's running? I hope I don't regret it,,something about him just makes me think he knows his stuff,,,,,

Zippy, Wheatley, and .justin. can tune you just as good, and they are trust worthy seeing how they all have a very large following here. I'd rather be safe then sorry if I were in your shoes.......

Good luck on your tune. Be wary of getting your truck serviced. They will reflash your computer and turn your truck back into a turd. Find out how to switch your tune with a laptop for service visits if you are worried about losing your investment. Keep us updated. I have the same questions you do.

How would you check to see if someone was varified as a tuner.

How would you check to see if someone was varified as a tuner.

You go to Tuner_A_list.com!! All the best tuners are listed there.......J/K.

When I said verified I meant someone who has thousands (literally) of tunes under their belt.

I was duped into a tune by a guy who whispered sweet nothings in my ear,and I almost lost a tranny over it......when I was stock!!!!.....and I have a few friends on this forum who have melted pistons and windowed blocks by a self proclaimed tuning master who doesn't visit the forum anymore.I have learned the hard way that you don't cut corners when you do performance mods,because you'll end up paying for it in the end $$$$$$$$ literally!

• 4 weeks later...

i just sent my deposit to .justin., i feel like the efi live/scan cable set up will get the best tune, no in person. (but not dissing zippy and wheatly they both have a good rep i've talked to wheatly he's very nice and quick response, i'm soon to order trany parts with zippy and i'm sure he's great too.)

as others have said....make sure they have a lifetime update. i would asume this guy saves the files on his comp so it wouldn't be much of a hassle to load it up again.

but just recently hptuners have fixed the coolant perameters, so make sure he has the updated version.

and to just be even safer, all the guys well spoken of on here know there stuff to a t.

wheatley and them all are great guys to work with also.

charley works right around the corner from me so i haven't really talked to him about mail orders, but i know justin is ready to go whenever you want. the man can even send you an efi live cable to really get the tune right.

just make sure the guy is legit. as others have told you i'm sure.