Shift kit Crap??

Ok, I ordered the TransGo shift kit with the Corvette servo and threw in the 10 bucks for the new Accumulator Piston.... I called up the shop around the corner... happens to be an AAmco and they said 5 hours for $285. Not bad I suppose, so I left it and kept my fingers crossed.

After putting the truck on the lift they call and say that they will have to remove the Dual Exhaust to get in there and then even though the kit says you don't need to remove the tranny, they will have to hang it.... or basiclly do everything short of just taking it out. They said this is a "top of the line" kit and will take another day and cost $485 dollars!!!! That's 5x what I paid for the stupid kit in the first place.

So my question is this... do they really have to remove the exhaust, should it really cost that much, and would I be better off doing it myself... I have access to a lift in a garage???

That's bull sh$t. There's no way it should cost that much. There definately trying to rip you off. It should cost you around $120-$200 at the most. Should take a decent mechanic about 4 hours, maybe a little less. Find another shop quick!!!

ha!

that's what I though.... the second he told me that I told him I was coming over to pick it up...

just to think, I almost brought them beer at lunch!

now the long search for someone who knows what they are doing! anyone in Santa Monica area of So. Cal with a good suggestion?

Thanks!

ha!

that's what I though.... the second he told me that I told him I was coming over to pick it up...

just to think, I almost brought them beer at lunch!

now the long search for someone who knows what they are doing! anyone in Santa Monica area of So. Cal with a good suggestion?

Thanks!

Try this place, "Walt Built Trans". They did my tranny work and have pretty decient prices and there pretty knowledgable also. There out of Carlsbad in San Diego. There # is (760) 722-7007. Make sure you tell them that its an SS and that its AWD. Hel give you a price quote right over the phone, should be less than $200, I got a shift kit, billet servos and a 3000 stall converter installed by them for $400. Stall coverter was most of the price also.

Wait a minute. If you got the Transgo-HD series B kit, then what they are saying about removing the tranny to get "all" parts in there is true. So if that's the case, then it's not BS. There are some parts that actually go in the bottom of the drum. Just tell them that you don't want the parts installed that require the tranny to be out and that should cover it. Did you happen to look over the kit and instructions? I hope so. You should know what they need to do before they do it. If you did get the kit I'm referring to, then I also hope you told them whether or not, or how many washers you wanted in the accumulator.

no lube zippy, just straight raped.

good thing i got out of there after the quote... from everything I have hear about this kit some of you are putting it in yourselves in the drive way... doesn't sound like something that will take a shop 1.5 days and almost 500 bucks.

i'm not sure what the number on the kit is... it's just the 4l60e kit from kds. i don't think it's a HD kit though... i was going to have them install 2 spacers not all three. the guys also said that getting to the accumulator piston is another whle issue that isnt easy to do....

sounds to me like these guys have no idea what's going on.... i'll make some calls tomorrow and see what I can find out from other smaller shops in the area. if i could get this in for 200 or less that would be great!

Hey, do you all know what AAMCO stands for? :confused:

if i'm correct it stands for Anthony A. Martino Cormpany. seems to also go by the name all automatics must come out. :jester:

as for the other thing on the accumulator piston, it should be in his hand while doing the shift kit anyway. there are many on here from cali, i'm sure you can get some recomendations as to where to take it to.

Archived