Newly found respect for the 4.8 L

adams2003

My girlfriend recently purchased a 2004 silverado LS with a 4.8L. When I found out she got the 4.8L I was kinda pissed. Well to make a long story short, Ive been driving it around the last couple of days and its as fast or faster than my dads 2000 silverado with the 5.3L. I was fully unaware that these engines are putting out 285hp, only 10hp less than the 5.3. I was expecting it to be a dog. I think it was zippy that got on me once for critisizing the "Joe Gibbs" for having a 4.8L saying that they are no slouches. Zippy you were right.

At work we have a '02 reg cab company truck. The only two options it has is 4.8 and auto. It will rip! As you know, being a company truck, and having five different drivers, it has been dogged from day one. On a wet road, it will spin (the tire) at 50mph when it hits second. It has never used any oil and not the first problem. ;)

I have the 5.3L in my Wife's Yukon XL and I have to say that it seems very quick. Almost as fast as the SS. I'd like to get her to line up with me someday just to see.

I've noticed that my SS with almost 6k miles on it doesn't seem to have the punch it had when I first got it. Guess that is a good excuse to finally go for the PCM....

they obviously take more rpm to get going, but they sure run great in the upper range. one of my buddies just bought an 01' used that i prepped as new for an 80 year old man. it's a 4.8 rcsb 2wd with 5 speed and 3.73 gear. it'll would surely give an ss a hard time if it could hook up. putting the locker in it next week and more mods to come soon. with a blower, the torque issue is fixed so the 4.8 really shines then. they are something to be cautious with if you are at the local street race hang out or track as they can run with the big dogs (just at a much higher rpm). :jester:

re-programming (especially the shift points) is a huge deal on them btw.

adam, I got the 4.8 myself, and it'll really get stronger past 6K miles, thats when I noticed it start pulling harder

i thought your truck would be a 5.3

yea, it's not really common to have a 4.8 in a z71, but it was my first vehicle, and didnt really care what it had, plus it was a bit cheaper

Archived