Problem When Trailering

usmcchevyss

hopefully someone can help me out here or has had this similar problem. I do a fair amount of towing. I have two trailers, one for his and her snowmobiles and one for everything else. Here is my problem. I have a pace trailer and when I have been towing with the SSS the last few times, i keep blowing the 15amp fuse for the trailer parking lights in the fuse block under the hood. It has happen 3 times now. It does not blow right away it takes about 40 or so minutes before it blows. I have checked the truck up and down and also the trailer. I was leaning towards the trailer having a short in in somewhere but I hooked up a 97 tahoe to the trailer this weekend and all seemed to be fine with the trailer. Now im stumped. I want to pull the snowmobile trailer out and try it on the SSS just have not gotten there yet. Has anyone else had this problem? i don't lose brake lights or turn signals just the running lights. And of course the parking lights have to be on for it to happen. I also do not lose the parking lights on the SSS just on the trailer. If someone could help shed some light (no pun intended) on this for me that would be great. Thanks

Bryan

05SSS

78 malibu

06 trailblazer (the wifes)

After giving this issue some thought. I believe that this problem is related to resistance. If you had a short in the wiring the fuse would blow immediately. I think that the trailer might have too many running lights on it. It could be the combination of the length of the wiring in the truck combined with the wiring and lights on the trailer. You might try removing a few of the bulbs on the trailer that really aren't needed when towing with this vehicle. Example: Side lights. Also if this fixes the problem you should consider replacing the lights with LED lights. They are more efficient and use less power to run. Again I am assuming the trailer is using the old bulb type lights. If the trailer is already using LED lights you should disconnect a few side lights. The same logic applies to LED lights also. Please post the fix here. Everyone can benefit from the resolution. :)

once i figure out the problem I will. I do agree with you about the resistance. How ever I have had the trailer for about 3 years now and this problem just started happening. Don't think it is too many bulbs. I used a 97 tahoe today that I wired up for lights and the electric brakes and all seemed fine. I am now leaning towards the SSS being the issue. Where I don't know and of course i am off warranty. I am going to be putting new tires on it in the new week or two so when I get it up on the lift I will check the harness out and the connectors and go from there...i am also thinking it could be a relay.

bryan

05sss

78malibu

Not all vehicles have a seperate trailer fuse or the same amperage fuse. Does your Tahoe? The resistance thing sounds very possible. Remove all the light bulbs and clean the contacts. You're dealing with a trailer that sees alot of salt and moisture. Also check all the wiring connections under the trailer. If they don't have shrink wrap on them, they corrode very easily. I see this alot on boat trailers.