Front Diff Failure With No Fuzz?

My truck is back in the shop 6,000 miles after the first front diff rebuild with the same cold grinding and noises.

When I leave for work in the morning I slowly roll out of the driveway and about 200 feet down the road is a stop sign. At this distance I just get a gentle tug into second gear about 50 feet before the sign. It's right after this gentle tug that the front diff starts grinding like crazy. This is the exact same thing it did the first time it failed. Also, just as it did the first time if I drive the few miles to the local tranny shop it's warmed up by then and won't do it.

The first time it failed it had the same noises it has now and a ton of fuzz on the magnetic drain plug. The problem I have this time is the shop where I have it says it can't find any noise and absolutely no fuzz or oil discolouration. These guys have gone for three test drives now so they've made a reasonable effort to find the 'problem'. They say with no fuzz and no noise they can hear they won't pull it apart.

They have now made me two very reasonable offers. The shop manager says he will show up at my place as I'm leaving for work, he lives near me and leaves for work at the same time, and listen to it then as I leave. Or, if I agree to cover the labour he'll pull it part and if there's a problem he cover it under warranty. No problem though and I eat the labour.

Thoughts anyone?

If you hear any grinding noise you have a bearing issue. You may not see the metal shavings on the plug until you drive it more. The oil discoloration will come later after you put some more miles on it. I would bring it back to the shop and let them tear it down. If they are honest they will admit it has a bearing problem and repair it for you.