Forged pistons

I have tried just about every outfit I can think of and nobody has direct replacement pistons for the SS. I can get some custom made for about 800, but would like to find off the shelf pistons.

Most companies need deck height (9.24 inches) stroke (3.622) and either compression height or connecting rod length(???)

Anybody have the center to center measurement of the connecting rod???

Or have contacts for pistons.

Please help, gotta get this poor thing back together...... :shakehead:

Zippy, you are right the only company that makes them that I have found is diamond.

The piston they make is dished by -13.7 cc, unlike the flat top pistons our trucks have. Depending on out cylinder head cc size will determine the compression.

62cc head = 10:1

66cc head = 9.5:1

70cc head = 9.2:1

I don't know what cc size our heads are. So I'm note sure which piston to get....

Need help zippy, do you know the cc size?? :confused:

this is the info from the same article on the 317's.

Head: 2001+, LQ4 6.0-liter Truck

Material: Aluminum

Part Number: 12562317

Combustion Chamber Volume: 71.06cc

Compression Ratio: 9.4:1

Intake Port Volume: 210cc

Exhaust Port Volume: 75cc

Intake Valve Diameter: 2.00-inches

Exhaust Valve Diamter: 1.55-inches

What you need to know: The LQ4 head recieved aluminum heads starting in the model year 2001. All other features are the same as the previous years' iron heads. This is the workhorse head for street/strip turbo and blower cars.

Looks like Zippy is quoting Chris Endres on his specs. (beware, some info is wrong)

smithl3 - Diamond would be my first choice. JE and Ross may also have what you need. Contact APE for all the info you need on diamond pistons. Chris is the new owner of APE, and he just left his position at Diamond. He'll answer all your questions, and order up what you need. I'd trust him with my motor. Just decide what CR you would like to end up with, and get the piston with the proper size (probably a reverse dome, or large valve reliefs).

For your specific requirements, the stock head has a 71cc chamber and the rod is 6.098". Same dimensions as all stock GEN III rods.

that is correct bigtex. i had some of the info before that article, but it just happened to put it all in one big catagory. i also quote where it was from because if anything is incorrect, it's right from them, not me. :jester: it should be pretty close from what i'm reading.

The formatting of the info looked familiar, then when you used the phrase "workhorse head for street/strip blah blah blah", I knew right where it came from. I prefer reading his articles in GMHTP as his book is really pretty lame. Its just a collection of info and how-to stuff straight from the internet. But for a noob, it would be beneficial.

You can always tell the people who are quoting cam specs from his book, because he has the exhaust duration listed before the intake, which is contrary to the way most people refer to them. So when someone asks the question "what are stock cam specs?", you'll see 207/196 listed instead of the normal 196/207 format.

Archived