Stall Question

i called a transmission guy and i got a 600 dollar price max, for the converter install....sound good? to high? also...what would be better a hughes 2200 stall or a TBTC i called this place and they said that they can stall it higher...he said that he would be able to get it up to like 2500....so what would that be once put on my truck? since the factory stall for a tbtc is lower then put on our truck it rises? also does it require a retune?

Edited by keebler85 (see edit history)

The TBTC stalls at 2400+ and is very reasonably priced at around $150. The bad thing about a TBTC is the converter clutch in it is not made for towing, do not tow with the lockup clutch engaged on that converter or it will give out. A few guys have used the TBTC very successfully on Radix and nitrous applications.

Mr. P.

IMO if you are going to put a premium converter in the truck, it needs to have a good converter clutch in it and stall at 2800+; else go cheap and use a TBTC.

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)

check your pm's. With the cam you speced out in your other post....3000+ stall

FLT charged me 500 to pull one trans and put a new one in

a local shop charged flt 600 bucks to pull the blown FLT one and replace it with a new one for me(don't take that wrong i stand behind FLT all the way, and will continue to use their trans)

when I originally had my stall, shift kit, and servos installed, it cost me around $700 with fluid, filter/gasket, solenoid, and a Kevlar 2-4 band.......

If you are gonna do a TC, IMO do it right and go with a billet converter like PI or TCS........remember, you get what you pay for....

ya i got about 250 dollars so i was wanting a tc now....guess i should wait...also the tbtc was 254 plus 100 core charge on the gm parts direct....cant find one anywhere else...and i just found a 3000 tci but then i searched it on here and ppl say its bad...i cant find anything tonight!

Edited by keebler85 (see edit history)

Hey bro I just had a 2800 stall from Monster transmissions and a Zippy kit with servos, new clutches and bands installed for around 650 and its the shit. The trans guy put in Lucas synthetic fluid a new filter and replaced the stock lower plainitary gear after breaking it down to parade rest and rebuilding it. When I first starting shopping for a shop to do the work I was getting quoted around 1200.00 to 1500.00 dollars here in San Diego. Zippy and others told me that was robery so I kept shopping. I can tell you that after the trans been done and the pcm was retuned, it really really made a diffrence!

Edited by texasSS (see edit history)