Drag Set Up

So with traction being a problem for me now I'm looking into drag set ups for the truck and what is best to do and what isn't. I've looked through a lot of Chase's posts and got some info but i still have a lot of questions. In my typical fashin I'll ask all my questions at once and any help would be great!

Is lowering good for a track set up? I could see it blocking the amount of air under the truck and adding some advantage that way, but does it help with traction at all.

What kind of shocks would you use? My shocks are pretty worn out so i need new ones anyway but when i buy new ones are sport shocks any better for traction, like bilstein. I'm guessing that with the AWD you want to stop weight transfer, and any time spent moving the front end up is time lost moving down the track so are stiff shocks in the rear the way to go. We have 90-10 shocks on the front of my nova but again i'm guessing that is the opposite way to go here, so are sport shocks the best for up front and maybe limit the front end from coming up like chase does.

Now that my tie rod ends are junk to, i'm looking into the tie rod brace kit to see if that helps as well.

Thanks for any help

Brad

I have a few thoughts and theories I want to try, but nothing I can share as hard advise.

The only fact I know is that installing the McGaughy's Deluxe drop kit always adds 0.10 to 0.15 to your 1/4-mile time; I think it's because of the change in instant center from the front leaf spring eye being raised, or change in pinion angle, or both (not sure which).

Mr. P. :)

Looking at your sig, you're 60' time is 1.63; how much more did you want to improve your launch?! Do you have a current timeslip you can share?

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)

being AWD most of the guys I have seen just get a good set of DR's...have you tried that yet?

Drag radials are only gonna help if you can get them hot enough,which means a really long burn out.Although I am sure he is getting tire spin off the line,I'm not sure if he will get enough to heat them properly before a run.

Drag radials are only gonna help if you can get them hot enough,which means a really long burn out.

Agreed. Although in the summer, my DR's HOOOOOKED and cut my best 60ft times without even heating them up. You can tell when they are sticky when they look like crunch coated ice cream...picking up every stone on your way to the lanes.

As for launch, I am considering some CalTracs, limiting straps up front and my 4 drag radials and maybe some spring clamps (if no caltracs). That is it. Track prep makes a difference as well.

I have a few thoughts and theories I want to try, but nothing I can share as hard advise.

The only fact I know is that installing the McGaughy's Deluxe drop kit always adds 0.10 to 0.15 to your 1/4-mile time; I think it's because of the change in instant center from the front leaf spring eye being raised, or change in pinion angle, or both (not sure which).

Mr. P. :)

Looking at your sig, you're 60' time is 1.63; how much more did you want to improve your launch?! Do you have a current timeslip you can share?

I've only been able to make 3 passes that i got traction on, all on the same day so i think the track prep was great that day, but thats where i got my best 60 foot times. The next time out i could barely run a 12 sec pass because of bad tire spin...some into second gear.

I have not tried drag radials yet. I'm running on proxy 4s right now due to weight of tire and the size i wanted.

I have the benifit of a close to sea level track and being able to run on 40 degree days...when i get my best times, so i'm looking for a set up that will allow me to hook on a cold track with cold tires. I'm not even sure they would allow me to go through the burn out box, most "street tire" cars have to back in so they don't bring water to the line.

I've read about the caltraks but i'm not sure how they work or what they do. I thought it was just a traction bar but it looks way different.

what do spring clamps do? stiffen the back to stop weight transfer?

Thanks

Edited by shadowsniper3006 (see edit history)

So with traction being a problem for me now I'm looking into drag set ups for the truck and what is best to do and what isn't. I've looked through a lot of Chase's posts and got some info but i still have a lot of questions. In my typical fashin I'll ask all my questions at once and any help would be great!

Is lowering good for a track set up? I could see it blocking the amount of air under the truck and adding some advantage that way, but does it help with traction at all.

What kind of shocks would you use? My shocks are pretty worn out so i need new ones anyway but when i buy new ones are sport shocks any better for traction, like bilstein. I'm guessing that with the AWD you want to stop weight transfer, and any time spent moving the front end up is time lost moving down the track so are stiff shocks in the rear the way to go. We have 90-10 shocks on the front of my nova but again i'm guessing that is the opposite way to go here, so are sport shocks the best for up front and maybe limit the front end from coming up like chase does.

Now that my tie rod ends are junk to, i'm looking into the tie rod brace kit to see if that helps as well.

Thanks for any help

Brad

after reading your sig, it looks like you are getting out of the hole good with your 60ft time 0f 1.63 but your top end is hurting with high 12's

here ismy thoughts,

dropped or not doesent really matter, as aerodyamnics in this truck are opposites.

the cal tracs will help in a few ways. they will help your rear end from squatting with in turn raises the front making less weight on the front so they often spin. they also halp with axle wrap. and putting the power into the ground.

the limit straps help even more , with removing the travel the front suspension can use.

basically you want your suspension to not work . you want your truck to keep from transfering weight .

so in a way a drop kit will help makling less travel for the front shocks so you will have to put less load on the straps.

i didnt get to test my set up a whole lot because of converter issues.

this new setup will put everything to the test including susension and testing the limits of the awd diff's and x-fer case.

after reading your sig, it looks like you are getting out of the hole good with your 60ft time 0f 1.63 but your top end is hurting with high 12's

I am still on stock intake and TB so maybe thats the top end limit, but my 60 foot times are back in the 2's with the cold temps

here ismy thoughts,

dropped or not doesent really matter, as aerodyamnics in this truck are opposites.

the cal tracs will help in a few ways. they will help your rear end from squatting with in turn raises the front making less weight on the front so they often spin. they also halp with axle wrap. and putting the power into the ground.

the limit straps help even more , with removing the travel the front suspension can use.

basically you want your suspension to not work . you want your truck to keep from transfering weight .

so in a way a drop kit will help makling less travel for the front shocks so you will have to put less load on the straps.

i didnt get to test my set up a whole lot because of converter issues.

this new setup will put everything to the test including susension and testing the limits of the awd diff's and x-fer case.

I'll look into a set of the caltracs and see how that goes as well as limiting the front end, did you try out the tie rod supports?

Thanks all

Brad