Tranny sticking in second gear

Several times when I have been driving my SS on the interstate and slow down to exit, at a stop light, when I let off the brake and try to move out, the truck feels weak, then bam it shifts from first to second and proceeds. I have only noticed after a short interstate trip. Can someone diagnose and advise whether I should take it in, or let it play out, truck has 4000 miles and no mods.

Several times when I have been driving my SS on the interstate and slow down to exit, at a stop light, when I let off the brake and try to move out, the truck feels weak, then bam it shifts from first to second and proceeds. I have only noticed after a short interstate trip. Can someone diagnose and advise whether I should take it in, or let it play out, truck has 4000 miles and no mods.

Does it shift from second to first and then go? Or as you stated from first to second?

Yes it actually moves, then after moving about 5 feet, it downshifts from second to first and then takes off like normal. I have never seen a check engine light yet. It has done this a total of about 5 or 6 times over a period of 3 months, I notice no other oddities with the tranny. When reading about the HDMLNIUM issue with his friend it made me think of whether it would help adding the billet servo, since they stated the downshift was firmer. I am going to take it in, but I hate messing with that.

I am the one that HDMLNIUM put the servos in. I was having no problems with tranny before and all I was getting was a firmer shift from 2nd to 1st when I was slowing to a stop at around 10 to 13 mph. All is fine for me though.

C.K.

You need to take it to the dealer and tell them it wants to start in second gear sometimes, it is a sensor that is bad, not telling the trans to shift into first. (The H2's actually had a recall on that particular complaint.) Make sure they do something about it, it will eventually cause pre-mature tranny failure....

You may have to take it in a couple times to get thru their heads though....make sure you do, because the first time or two they'll say "customer complaint couldn't be duplicated"....be persistent. :cry:

Archived