Torsion keys

GnatGoSplat

Try adjusting your torsion bars out 1/2 to 1 inch and see how it feels to you. If you take out more than that you will probably need to do other work. By lowering the torsion bars you also lower the spring rate. This as you know can effect your ride and performance. I'm not lowering mine but will upgrade the shocks and add sway bars to flatten out the suspension. It all depends on your tastes. :P

Some people with 2WD trucks prefer control arms over spindles.

I noticed Tahoe/Suburban/Avalanche 2WD LCA's are either identical to 4x4, or really darn close. DJM has lowering LCA's, but one reason I don't think they will work is it looks like the DJM LCA's place the strut closer to the center which wouldn't give enough clearance for the halfshaft. It makes me wonder if they would be interested in a slight redesign to accommodate the SS and other 4x4/AWD trucks. One person once told me DJM had made some one-off 3" drop LCA's for him.

Also, just looking at the suspension setup makes me wonder if a lower balljoint flip on the existing LCA could work.

Lowering control arms just sink the coil spring in the pocket, spindles are the only "correct" way to do it on a torsion bar front end. At least if you want to maintain all the geometry and suspension travel. If you do it with the keys find out how to adjust the bumpstops properly or it'll get way goofey feeling in the front, even unsafe.

Archived