Torsion keys

GnatGoSplat

At the time I lowered my truck there was no lowering kits on the market for the SS thats why I used those keys. Personally I think the SS sits about the same height as a 4x4. When I lowered mine it sat the same as my buddies stock 2wd. I have lowered mine even more with the McGaughy's spindels trying to get a true lowered look and finally I got it looking like its lowered but McGaughy says the way I did it with spindels and keys is a bad idea but I am having no troubles. Good luck with your lowering. :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I had an 04 LT 4x4 ext cab. I was going to change the truck a little before I found my SS. I measured mine at all four wheels the measured an 04 SS while it was parked beside my LT. The SS was 35 in at the front and 36.5 in the rear. My LT was 36 in in front and 38 in the rear. I checked with the parts dept with both VINs in hand and found all was the same between both trucks in the rear except the shocks and the spacer blocks and u-bolts.

The front end was a different story. They said the shocks,spindles,torsion bars,and keys were different. I turned out my torsion keys to allow for the front drop of 1/2 inch and removed the spacers and installed new u-bolts.

$40 bucks and SS height. Don't know why the front is so different and the rear is the same but thats what the VIN #s showed. :chevy:

The front end was a different story. They said the shocks,spindles,torsion bars,and keys were different. I turned out my torsion keys to allow for the front drop of 1/2 inch and removed the spacers and installed new u-bolts.

I can believe everything up front is a little different, except spindles... that's a surprise!

Did your 4x4 ride any worse when you cranked down the torsion bars? How is the ride and handling compared to an SS? I just wonder if I should invest in some SS bars.

I would love to just get a real SS, but my truck is paid for and I enjoy a project. :crazy:

Handling wasn't bad at 35 1/2 inches but if I Went to 35 it got mushy. The addition of some shocks would have helped I think. The next step would have been the addition of 20s. I did get the ride height even on the front and within a 1/2 inch on the rear by pulling out the axle spacers in the rear and installing the shorter u bolts. Front was torsion adjustment only. I never got the chance to go any farther since I got the SS and traded the LT. I have to sell the SS dash cluster I bought as well as the U bolts. No need for them now with the SS here. :D

Archived