Awd Ss In Snow?

Just a question for those of you in tropically challenged climates, how does your truck fare in snowy and icy conditions? I'll be taking a ski trip next month, and have decided to drive the truck. Never seen snow in it's lifetime, how do they perform in the slick stuff?

If you have proper tires for it, you'll do fine. I learned that the hardest way in Feb. '08. My new tires, havn't had any trouble on the ice this year, which we've had a ton of it... little snow though, weird.

Just drive with common sense.

Ill put it this way. This truck is F*in amazing in the snow and I rallied bmws 325iX in winter storms for fun. I only have had Goodyear Ls1 in the rears and Ls2s up front. I can rally my truck and look like an idiot that doesnt deserve his license, or I can drive very easily and make it through anything nature has handed me yet. However if having fun isnt your man objective and getting to the ski slopes, I would recomend some snow tires so you get optimum traction. This year is the 1st year my truck will not see snow anymore though, I have seen a few rust spots develop and planning on an underbody coat of por-15 next spring. I now know the damages of having fun in the snow can cause on a beautifal truck :banghead: .

For winter tires I recomend the Bridgestone Blizzak series. Had those on the bmw in 1.5 feet of snow and still the snow couldnt stop the german machine. I dont know how we didnt bottom out, it honestly doesnt make sense but this is no lie.

Edited by 03maSSS (see edit history)

Proper tires? :lol: Well, assuming Kumhos are proper, I'm good. I was considering renting an SUV, but there's no guarantee I'll get an AWD model. Might as well roll the truck and know what I'll be driving. :)

I have khumo's as well and they suck in snow, all season my a$$. I can still handle it and drive t fine, but it loses grip laterally much more often than the goodyears did. I dont mind the tires, and knew that would probably happen when I bought them. But I have yet to be in a ditch and yet to get stuck anywhere, so it still goes. I just have to be careful on snowy and icy days going around 90 degree turns, like turning into a subdivision or business drive, the truck will understeer and push out of the turn pretty bad where the goodyears would typically hook and follow through the turn. My opinon is, if youcan handle yourself in a vehicle well in wintery weather, and take your time, you will be fine. The AWD is amazing, especially pulling away from a stop light in snow.

The most important thing is your tires. Make sure that you have all season tires and you'll be fine. I put a plow on my SS and it drives great in the snow. I'll post a pic later tonight I'm sure the guys will have a field day laughing at it.

The most important thing is your tires. Make sure that you have all season tires and you'll be fine. I put a plow on my SS and it drives great in the snow. I'll post a pic later tonight I'm sure the guys will have a field day laughing at it.

Have no idea how you other guys have such good luck with these in the snow... :confused:

I've had several different sets of tires on the AWD SS and always seem to have a issue with the rear wanting to jump out on me at the most random times. 99% of the time it wants to slip the rear kicks out to the right, regardless of speed, and where im at. I think it has something to do with the 68/32.

I've been driving in snowy conditions my whole life living in ND and SD and this is by far the worst vehichle i've owned whilst driving in snowy conditions. Much rather prefer my yukon, or 79 silverado.

Have no idea how you other guys have such good luck with these in the snow... :confused:

I've had several different sets of tires on the AWD SS and always seem to have a issue with the rear wanting to jump out on me at the most random times. 99% of the time it wants to slip the rear kicks out to the right, regardless of speed, and where im at. I think it has something to do with the 68/32.

I've been driving in snowy conditions my whole life living in ND and SD and this is by far the worst vehichle i've owned whilst driving in snowy conditions. Much rather prefer my yukon, or 79 silverado.

DJ,

I am guessing your mods on your truck are just too much power to the wheels for snowy conditions, and that is why you always seem to kick out to the right (just my guess). After racing cars in the snow, I have come to my own conclusion that there is a point where you have to have the right amount of power and weight, and stock wise the SS is great. You might want to think of adding 2 50lb bags of sand in your bed, that might help out.

Then again here in MA, we dont get nearly as much snow as you do out in SD or ND.

Edited by 03maSSS (see edit history)