Front End Noise

nkurs365@uwsp.edu

So i took mine in yesterday to the place i purchase all my tires, really good guys family shop. They said it was my wheel bearing so i had that replaced well that didnt work. So I am dropping it off at lunch back there today. What other bearings could it be on the driver side ??

Had to replace the front axle inner bearings on mine last spring. Same type of noise. Kind of a low growl when on the gas, nothing when off the gas. Replacing the inner axle bearings took care of it. Haven't had any problems since.

Had to replace the front axle inner bearings on mine last spring. Same type of noise. Kind of a low growl when on the gas, nothing when off the gas. Replacing the inner axle bearings took care of it. Haven't had any problems since.

Is this something that can be done by the average Joe (how difficult for the backyard mechanic)? Or does it have to be taken to a shop to be done? If so how much are we looking at paying? Sorry for all the questions! Thanks in advance!

Edited by Bluestreak04 (see edit history)

Don't remember exactly what it cost me. (Receipt is at home) Had mine done at the Chevy dealer and it seems like it was around $600.00. I don't think it's something the average backyard mechanic can do easily. They said the whole front axle had to come out. I'll try to find the receipt later and post the exact price and terminology for what they replaced.

Found my receipt. They replaced the front axle side bearings.. Total cost with laboe was $649.11.

$98.16 parts, $31.50 Lube, $26.75 Sealant and $467.42 labor. Didn't even offer me a cigarette afterwards. :jester: Hope this helps.

well i drained the fluid and theres metal shavings in the fluid so im screwed its the differential..........priced them out for a used differential its anywhere from 400-700 and for a remanufactured one i priced was like 1800 so im goin with a used one. I talked to the dealer i work with and he said its not that hard to replace the differential so im gonna do it myself.

Just my .02...

Why don't you take it to a ring and pinion shop and pay little or nothing to have a pro tell you what it is?...

I have changed the differential fluid in my SS 3 times...Each time I had some shavings on the magnet, might be normal...I have 120k on my truck now...

well i drained the fluid and theres metal shavings in the fluid so im screwed its the differential..........priced them out for a used differential its anywhere from 400-700 and for a remanufactured one i priced was like 1800 so im goin with a used one. I talked to the dealer i work with and he said its not that hard to replace the differential so im gonna do it myself.

Because you are going to remove/replace the IFS yourself. Go to the AWD/Diff/Trans section and search for "front end dead". It has all of the torque specs needed to install the IFS. :)

Because you are going to remove/replace the IFS yourself. Go to the AWD/Diff/Trans section and search for "front end dead". It has all of the torque specs needed to install the IFS. :)

Thanks I will check it out when i put it in.....turns out these front differentials are harder to find than one would think

Hey guys, so I am having the same problem...a grinding/howl on acceleration, not just on turns, but going straight as well. Brought it to dealer today, they say everything is FINE. It is def. not the same as it was before so I know something is going on...they drained the diff. and they said there was little to no metal in the fluid. Any ideas?

Mine had a straight ahead growl in it too. So when I took mine in just before the 3/36 warranty was up they sent their "DDDT" out for a ride with me and of course he said "I'm not hearing anything....but we'll document your concern".....they didn't even look at the drain plug to see if shavings were on it! So I drove it until there was no question there was a noise coming from there, so...5000 miles later and $2000 of GM's dollars in a front diff rebuild it is all quiet again....for the time being.

"DDDT"= Designated Deaf Diagnosis Tech" <---I believe all dealerships have at least one! :D